Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by Bipin Sadhwani <bk...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/08 17:10:46 UTC

nested tiles problem

Hi everyone,
I have this wierd issue with tiles. Probably its a bug.
My environment is:  Windows XP Professional, MyEclipse 6.0.1, Struts 2.0.6, Tiles 2.0.6, J2EE 1.4, JDK 5.0, JBoss 4.2.2
I am trying to insert a tile (a jsp page) into another tile (a jsp page) and so this is my config (simplified):

    tiles.xml
    ---------

    <definition name="rootPage.index" template="layout.jsp">
     <put-attribute name="pagetitle" value="Page Body Title" />
     <put-attribute name="header" value="header.jsp" />
     <put-attribute name="footer" value="footer.jsp" />
    </definition>

    <definition name="searchEmployee.index" extends="rootPage.index">
     <put-attribute name="body" value="searchEmpBody.index" />
     </definition>
    <definition name="searchEmpBody.index"
     template="/searchEmployee.jsp"/>
    </definition>

    <definition name="status.index" template="/status.jsp">
    </definition>

    layout.jsp
    -----------

     <tiles:insertAttribute name="header" />

     <tiles:insertAttribute name="body" />

Now following are the things I try on my searchEmployee.jsp

searchEmployee.jsp - This works

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <tiles:insertDefinition name="status.index"/>

searchEmployee.jsp - This also works

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <s:form action="listEmployees">
     <tiles:getAsString name="pagetitle"/>
    </s:form>

searchEmployee.jsp - This does work (only if I use tiles:insertDefinition below s:form)

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <s:form action="listEmployees">
    </s:form>

<tiles:insertDefinition name="status.index"/>

searchEmployee.jsp - This does NOT work (if I use tiles:insertDefinition above or within s:form things don't work)

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <s:form action="listEmployees">
     <tiles:insertDefinition name="status.index"/>
    </s:form>

I get a long exception stack trace which basically says nullptrexception.

I've done the same thing using tiles1.x and it has always worked.

Tks
Bipin

Re: nested tiles problem

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/8 Bipin Sadhwani <bk...@yahoo.com>:
> I get a long exception stack trace which basically says nullptrexception.

Can you post it?

Antonio