Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/09 06:28:33 UTC

Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator

Hi Folks,

Currently the property mediator sets all property values as strings. But in
certain cases we will want to set property values of other types (integers,
floats, OMElement etc). For instance when using certain JMS providers (eg:
IBM MQ) this feature becomes a must, since they do not allow setting certain
properties as strings. Such properties should be set with specific types.

To solve this problem I would like to propose adding a new attribute to the
property mediator. The new attribute, named 'type' will allow specifying a
type for the parameter value. The property mediator will make sure that the
value is properly cast into the specified type before setting the value. If
the attribute is not specified the default type 'string' will be used so the
existing behavior won't be affected.

I have already done this modificataion for WSO2 ESB. I have implemented
support for following types:

   - INTEGER
   - FLOAT
   - DOUBLE
   - BOOLEAN
   - LONG
   - SHORT
   - STRING
   - OM (to set OMElement parameters)

If there are no objections, I would like to contribute this improvement to
Synapse. So WDYT? Your comments and feedback are most appreciated.

Thanks,
Hiranya

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Software Engineer;

RE: Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <Er...@foxmobile.com>.
________________________________
From: Hiranya Jayathilaka [mailto:hiranya911@gmail.com]

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Hiranya
> To solve this problem I would like to propose adding a new attribute
> to the property mediator. The new attribute, named 'type' will allow
> specifying a type for the parameter value. The property mediator will
> make sure that the value is properly cast into the specified type
> before setting the value. If the attribute is not specified the
> default type 'string' will be used so the existing behavior won't be
> affected.
+1
> I have already done this modificataion for WSO2 ESB
Since this is a core class of Synapse and not an add on, it may have
been better to do it in the Synapse trunk and inherit instead of forking
and merging back.. I guess you enjoy SVN merge :)

cheers
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator

Posted by indika kumara <in...@gmail.com>.
+ 1 ...

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ruwan,

I know everyone was busy. As you know, I never forced anybody to apply
patches or anything like that :). Or I never even complained about something
like that. But as a community it is not good to leave the patches behind.
That is all I wanted to point out :).

Thanks,
Supun..

--
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc
http://wso2.org

Re: Implementing Type Support for the Property Mediator

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
Guys

Could I please ask that you cut out the unwanted headers and footers of
emails in future? I cannot easily read them, and thus am tempted to skip
complicated threads like these -
http://markmail.org/thread/g23jhjz3dpzfgjcc :-)

cheers
asankha

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Going after developers for applying a patch is not a good practice in any
>>> open source project.
>>>

>> Why not? More you interact with the team more you become familiar with the
>> community. It shows how willing you are to contribute to the project. IMO
>> that makes you the perfect candidate for committership.
>>

> What I wanted to say was making the people who submit patches go after
> developers is not a good practice in any Apache project and I don't think
> there are lot of people who are willing to submit patches and go after
> developers.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with bugging the community (in a polite
manner of course) in order to get something done. As long as your technical
points are correct, and you show interest in maintaining a healthy
discussion, people will back you up. If somebody thinks that a patch he has
submitted should be checked in immediately and the team is not responding to
that, this is the way to go.

> Anyway thanks for bringing these points :).

You are welcome. I know that you have done some tremendous work over the
past few months. Most of the patches are still in the queue so I think it's
natural to feel bit uncomfortable. But it's not that we don't care - it's
just that we've been too busy. We were hoping to get 1.3 out soon with all
outstanding issued fixed but that got delayed due to other technicalities
associated with the project. Anyway I appreciate all your efforts and please
keep on sending those patches. We will commit them one of these days ;)
Indika is already in the process of reviewing some of those.

I really appreciate your continued interest in contributing to Synapse.

Thanks,
Hiranya

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> within the matter of hours. But reviewing patches and making changes to the
> code cannot be done in adhoc manner. It's a delicate process which requires
> some thinking, patience and lots of free time. Sometimes patches get delayed
> because we don't have sufficient time to invest on that. We don't do it on
> purpose. Still if something critical shows up (something like a security
> issue or an interop issue) we pay immediate attention to that.
>
> So any user who's on an open source mailing list should understand that. If
> he needs something to be fixed immediately he should say so and try to get
> the attention of the team by starting and maintaining a healthy discussion
> that lasts long enough.
>
> Hi Hiranya,

Going after developers for applying a patch is not a good practice in any
open source project. Patches are submitted free of charge as a courtesy to
the project. At least that is how an open source community should think
about patches. A community should think of people who are submitting patches
as assets to the community and future committors. A community should always
encourage who ever apply patches. In a Apache like community committors come

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Supun,

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
+1,

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <Er...@foxmobile.com>.
From: Hiranya Jayathilaka [mailto:hiranya911@gmail.com]

Currently the property mediator sets all property values as strings. But in certain cases we will want to set property values of other types (integers, floats, OMElement etc).
To solve this problem I would like to propose adding a new attribute to the property mediator. The new attribute, named 'type' will allow specifying a type for the parameter value. The property mediator will make sure that the value is properly cast into the specified type before setting the value. If the attribute is not specified the default type 'string' will be used so the existing behavior won't be affected.

If there are no objections, I would like to contribute this improvement to Synapse. So WDYT? Your comments and feedback are most appreciated.

+1, sounds like a useful feature