Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/03 18:20:49 UTC

plugin docs [was: How do I use OpenOffice plugin?]

On 3/3/06, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Dixit, Sandeep (ProSource Solutions) wrote:
> > I am new to Forrest and would like to learn how to use OpenOffice
> > plug-in. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
>
> Start by reading the plugin docs [1], then take a look at the source of
> the samples that are included with the plugin [2].
>
> If you have specific questions, we'll be glad to help.
>
> Ross
>
> [1] http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/usingPlugins.html
> [2]
> http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org/samples/index.html

I don't have time to look into what's going on here but I started to
point this user to the docs as well and in my navigation to them, saw
that our plugins docs for 0.7 reference the 0.8 plugins.

http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/index.html

--tim

Re: plugin docs [was: How do I use OpenOffice plugin?]

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> On 3/3/06, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

>>[1] http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/usingPlugins.html
>>[2]
>>http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.OpenOffice.org/samples/index.html
>>

> I don't have time to look into what's going on here but I started to
> point this user to the docs as well and in my navigation to them, saw
> that our plugins docs for 0.7 reference the 0.8 plugins.
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/index.html

Hmmm, well spotted - one of the problems of always using head, it's easy
to miss things like this.

I'm afraid this is another problem with the versioned plugins. The index
page is generated from the plugins.xml descriptor file. Unfortunately,
this file is not versioned. So when any plugin for Forrest 0.7 is
published the 0.7 index is overwritten.

Since the plugins.xml file has info about plugins for various versions
of Forrest those that have a later version will have an incorrect entry.

So, what is the solution?

I'm not 100% certain, but am sure it will be a part of [1]. I've
attached a link to this thread to the issue.

Ross

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533