Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Keys Botzum <kb...@maprtech.com> on 2012/04/08 16:01:10 UTC

Re: Accumulo on MapR Continued

Billie,

I apologize for taking so long to reply to your message. As soon as I read
it I thought to myself "this is a very good argument." I did some more
research myself and talked with folks at MapR and we agreed that the right
thing to do here is to change MapR to be tolerant of a seek to position
just after the last byte.

I've delayed posting this because I wanted to report the results of the
change and retest. This was delayed for reasons that have nothing to do
with Accumulo or really MapR, I just was too busy.

In any case, we've tried the change in MapR (being tracked as change 6539)
and this does indeed address the issue below. The test case in question now
passes. Thank you VERY much for your help. It is much appreciated.

I am continuing testing and have encountered additional issues but I
haven't yet had time to analyze them. I will post something when I have a
more coherent question. I would just like to confirm that all of the auto
tests do run successfully on stock Apache Hadoop? I ask because at least
one of the tests appears to have a bug in the script that runs it. I just
want to make sure I'm testing the right stuff.

Incidentally, I have upgrade to the official Accumulo 1.4.0 release.

Keys

--
________________________________
http://www.mapr.com <http://mapr.com>

Re: Accumulo on MapR Continued

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
Things definitely get sketchy towards the end of the run.  The tests are
generally ordered from "if this doesn't work, don't bother checking in the
code."  Towards the end we get to "try fake i/o freeze-up using a custom
LD_PRELOAD hack" which is platform and timing sensitive.  If you get
through the first half of the tests, it's a very good sign.  If you re-run
a test and it magically works, that's a sign that its a test problem.

Here are some helpful ways of running the test suite that you may have
discovered already.

To start the tests at some point:

./run.py -s someTest

To run a particular test:

./run.py -t pattern

To see the test run with lots of details:

./run.py -t SomeTest -v 10

There is also a mechanism to run the tests under map/reduce, so you can
invoke them concurrently.  It is not very stable.

-Eric

Posted by Keys Botzum <kb...@maprtech.com>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.