Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by ronkol <rk...@scholastic.com> on 2013/04/24 16:08:32 UTC

Tomee 1.5.2 DOA problem: seems openejb duplicating servlet URL mappings, tomcat blows

Hi guys,

Love tomee, excited to see it grow. We have been on tomee 1.5.1 since
December. I did nothing other than swap in the tomee 1.5.2 zip kit and
everything crumbled and upon research, I think it may be a serious issue in
tomee and/or openejb.

This kit upgrades tomcat version (which is fine), this new version enforces
duplicate servlet url-pattern mappings (can't map two servlets to same
/servlet-path mapping). This fine. But I have confirmed we have NOT any
duplicate mappings, just single @WebServlet annotations and at startup, app
is blowing on every servlet (I remove the annotation from one and the next
blows).

Somewhere under the hood, tomee and/or openejb is causing these to be double
mapped, even though our code does not (I checked carefully). Here is the
error:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The servlets named
[com.mycomp.gateway.servlet.GatewayLoginServlet] and
[com.mycomp.gateway.servlet.GatewayLoginServlet] are both mapped to the
url-pattern [/login] which is not permitted

The code just simply uses the annotation and there is NOT an entry anywhere
in a web.xml or web-fragment.xml that references this same servlet. If I
remove this annotation, the next servlet fails, and so on.

@WebServlet(urlPatterns={"/login"})
public class GatewayLoginServlet extends HttpServlet
{

}

Could you please assist? I really want to upgrade to 1.5.2, you put some
great fixes in we need. Any ideas?

Re: Tomee 1.5.2 DOA problem: seems openejb duplicating servlet URL mappings, tomcat blows

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>wrote:

> No you definitely aren't!
>
> Le 24 avr. 2013 18:04, "ronkol" <rk...@scholastic.com> a
> écrit :
>

> > So sadly, we are stuck on tomee 1.5.1 for the foreseeable future :(

+1 Jean-Louis

that is what I love about tomee; the product/software/container,
committers, the support, the speed/reliability of tomee, the examples,
documentation, etc...

I can go on and on...trust me! :)

Re: Tomee 1.5.2 DOA problem: seems openejb duplicating servlet URL mappings, tomcat blows

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We discussed 1.5.2 release and asked feedback on the list (maybe dev@ one).
Some users validated it but for their own app

Posted by ronkol <rk...@scholastic.com>.
Hey guys,

1.6.0 snapshot DID fix this issue. Great to see that. Again, love to see
this grow, but as architect, just very said that we are releasing such
unstable, undertested builds. It has been the case with the last release we
used, the snapshots are more stable than the release. We ran on snapshots
for a long time since 1.0.0 was so terribly.

I want to help tomee, can I get on a list to smoketest release candidates? I

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Note: The ci is up again and 1.6.0 snapshot should be fine

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
well the snapshot is not up to date because of an in progress issue with
the CI system

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
No you definitely aren't!

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
1.5.3 is the 1.5.2 code ATM, the snapshot is 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Posted by ronkol <rk...@scholastic.com>.
Ah, interesting. We DO have lots of jax-rs rest services. I did not check for
a mapping to /* on those. I will investigate whether we have a rest service
mapped to /* or similar.

Re: Tomee 1.5.2 DOA problem: seems openejb duplicating servlet URL mappings, tomcat blows

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
There is a potential case if you have rest/soap services with your servlets

Jean-Louis

2013/4/24 ronkol <rk...@scholastic.com>

> Hi Romain,
>
> I have checked/searched and manually inspected the code. The error happens
> to every single servlet in the codebase. There are definitely no duplicate
> entries for these servlets in web.xml or web-fragment.xml.
>
> I read around the net, some folks are saying there might be a collision
> with
> /* since it matches all URIs. Is there a servlet or other component in
> openejb or cxf that is listening on /* perhaps?
>
> Ron

Jean-Louis

Re: Tomee 1.5.2 DOA problem: seems openejb duplicating servlet URL mappings, tomcat blows

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
if you use rest it can happen

once again it is probably fixed on trunk. I didn't check 1.5.2 but i think
it is an issue between tomcat 7.0.39 changes and 1.5.x branch (a too quick
merge IMO)

the easier would be to get a sample reproducing the issue so we could check
it is it or not

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

please ensure it is not defined in web.xml

if it is nto the case can be an issue of 1.5.2 fixed on trunk