Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Jon Logan <jm...@buffalo.edu> on 2019/03/12 00:38:52 UTC

NiFi and MiNiFi Compatability?

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are compatibility concerns between NiFi and
MiNiFi? Specifically, it seems like the last release of MiNiFi is against
1.7 -- should we expect problems if we were to point this against the
latest version of NiFi?

If so, are there any plans of trying to coordinate releases between the
project and sub-project, even if its just to link against the same
binaries? I was also curious if MiNiFi compatibility is considered during
the NiFi release / testing process?

Thanks!
Jon

Re: NiFi and MiNiFi Compatability?

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jon,

When you say point against the latest version of NiFi, I'm going to assume
you are talking about the transmission of data across Site to Site.  From
that standpoint, there are no issues.

What can be problematic is the reusing of NARs in MiNiFi depending on
framework level changes that may occur in the API.

There is an effort underway to make MiNIFi a specialized assembly of NiFi
to more tightly integrate its usage of the core NiFi libraries it is
already making use of.  This is captured in MINIFI-422 [1].  Typically,
several folks in the community have bespoke flows and configurations that
they use to verify these interactions as parts of both releases in addition
to some of the integration tests in the MiNiFI codebase itself.

Let me know if there are other questions or areas of clarification needed.

--aldrin

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MINIFI-422

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Hi Jon,

The NiFi and MiNiFi releases are very loosely coupled — in general, any MiNiFi version will work with any NiFi version (thus far). The only real concerns when aligning versions is the availability of specific processors in NiFi being included in the JVM version of MiNiFi. Communication between the two instances is usually via Site-to-Site protocol, which is robust and we take pains not to introduce any compatibility-breaking changes in minor releases anyway. In addition, you can use a variety of other communication mechanisms (FTP, file system, HTTP, MQTT, etc.) from both endpoints if necessary.

I have personally run MiNiFi 0.5.0 and 0.6.0-SNAPSHOT against NiFi 1.8.0, 1.9.0, and 1.10.0-SNAPSHOT without encountering any problems.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com