Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org> on 2017/04/13 18:41:14 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Hi all,

The PredictionIO community has voted that 0.11.0-incubating-rc2 to be good
for a source-only release. This thread is to facilitate a voting for the
IPMC before a final official source-only release.

Vote result on dev@:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/031ff6f98b3d5a54b716789bda50681a0c821f1054218843ac5fcc77@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E

The original vote thread on dev@:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d1bf205404bf4e16e12f17209f4f207722e554ee9e4139974812f8e4@%3Cdev.predictionio.apache.org%3E

The release candidate Git commit is:
e34a853d0e89baed09b3d3b0c25b244162a3bdea

The release candidate Git tag is:
v0.11.0-incubating-rc2

The source-only release candidate artifacts can be downloaded here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/predictionio/0.11.0-incubating-rc2/

Test results of RC2 can be found here:
https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-predictionio/builds/220381611

Build instructions of previous versions can be used on this RC:
http://predictionio.incubator.apache.org/install/install-sourcecode/

Maven artifacts are built from the release candidate artifacts above, and
are provided as convenience for testing with PredictionIO engine templates.
The Maven artifacts are provided at the Maven staging repo here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachepredictionio-1016/

All JIRAs completed for this release are tagged with 'FixVersion =
0.11.0-incubating'. You can view them here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12320420&version=12338381

The artifacts have been signed with Key : 8BF4ABEB

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1, accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release
[ ] 0, neutral because...
[ ] -1, do not accept RC as the official 0.11.0 release because...

The vote will be open for 72 hours and close at 12pm PDT 4/16/2016.

Regards,
Donald

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

This is a friendly reminder for the release voting of Apache PredictionIO
0.11.0-incubating-rc2. The voting will stay open until there are enough
votes for acceptance or rejection.

Regards,
Donald

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
No, you are free to make this release provided there is an issue tracking the RAT check failures and a promise to fix them for the next release.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
Many thanks!

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Sure, I am ok having this become blocker if its still an issue on the next
release.

Here is my +1 the .

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 4:49 PM John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> In general, the preference is to report the non-blocking issue, and confirm
> the podling has it entered into their bug tracker.  Then they accept
> the +1.  We don't generally wait for a code change to be made, but would
> block the next release if these issues are not addressed.  I personally
> want to understand why we're requiring the podling to fix it now before
> approving the release.  This looks like PredictionIO's first release, so we
> wouldn't have seen this already.
>
> The contents of the release generally look good.  IN addition to the notes
> from Luciano, your NOTICE file should be updated to reflect 2016-2017 ASF.
> I would recommend renaming these files to just NOTICE and LICENSE and drop
> the .txt, to better comply with the licensing.
>
> Here's my +1, not waiting for anything to be fixed.
>
> John
>
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:43 PM Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I will too, and then you will have two binding votes in the affirmative.

> thank

> indicate
> > >>

> > > Not necessary, once this is fixed in master I would vote ok for the
> > current
> > > RC
> > >
> > > --
> > > Luciano Resende
> > > http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> > > http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Sent from my Mobile device

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PredictionIO 0.11.0 (incubating) RC2

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
But is it worth doing yet another podling RC and release vote?

If it is, please vote -1, at least we won’t be left waiting and we thank you for being the one who took a look either way.

We are just trying to move, out if possible or iterate if not. These issues have not changed from the current release and so do not indicate regression and they have Jira’s for the next release.

On Apr 22, 2017, at 11:56 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I would feel ok voting positively once these are fixed in master.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 24, 2017, at 11:48 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While podlings have an explicit set of mentors, the IPMC as a whole can be thought of as an informal set of mentors. Reviewing and voting on podling release candidates is one way for any IPMC member to help a podling whether a mentor or not.

I agree.

Mentors are the first line of support for questions. They read all of the traffic on the dev and private lists. And yes, they vote on releases, but in practice podlings only have 1 or 2 active mentors. So, podlings need votes IPMC members need to vote.

Anyone who doesn’t have time to vote on at least 2 release candidates a year should, in my opinion, resign from the IPMC. I’m sorry, but apathy really pisses me off. It drags us all down. I’d rather spend time with a few motivated people than a whole load of dead-weights.

Julian

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 23, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> Pat Ferrel wrote on 4/22/17 11:46 AM:
>> Probably the wrong place for this but…
>>
>> What do people think about a governance change for approving releases
>> through the IPMC to wit:
>>
>> A week of no vote activity over the release proposal of a podling
>> should be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to
>> become a vetoing group.
>
> No, because as noted in this thread the board and Legal Affairs
> Committee already have a policy for Apache software releases:
>
>  https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#policy
>
> This is the spot where all the little legal bits of having a corporation
> intersects with the Incubator's ability to mentor new podlings in how to
> effectively run projects in the Apache Way.  However that legal policy
> in particular is not going to change IMO.
>
> Personally, I support any proposals that help ensure podling mentors are
> more actively engaged, and can better serve as the formal IPMC votes for
> podling releases.  Great to see some serious discussion about that in
> this thread and the upcoming IPMC chair election.  The incubator has
> been getting better organized as a whole over the past few years, and
> keeps improving, which is great to see.
>
>> I propose this for 2 reasons: 1) lack of votes or attention from the
>> IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
>> velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been
>> voted on and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which
>> has ASF mentors in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems
>> to have minimum danger to the ASF system of checks and balances.>
>
> Yes, but the whole point of Incubation is that a podling is not yet a
> project.  Only Apache PMCs have the authority to make a release, thus
> only IPMC votes count.  On one hand this must feel incredibly annoying.
> On the other hand, it is the #1 reason we have the ASF as a corporation
> - to prevent the individual release manager from potentially getting
> sued *personally* for problems with the release.
>
> The fact that we have these documented policies, and that the board and
> IPMC enforces them means that legally, releases are acts of the
> Foundation.  Thus if anyone ever were to sue, they'd sue the Foundation
> (which has insurance and legal counsel) and not individual committers.
>
> --
>
> - Shane, IPMC Member
>  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

I completely agree with Shane. To put it another way, podlings don’t make releases, the IPMC makes releases.

In the past I’ve seen others advocate that one active mentor is enough for a podling. I do not share that opinion and think release voting is another reason a podling should aim (notice I’m not saying “must” here) to have at least three mentors. Mentors, by virtue of being more intimately involved with a podling, are much more likely to vote on a release than non-mentor IPMC members.

To address the low level of IPMC members voting on podling releases, we need to understand why it happens. Is it just a lack of individuals’ time? Is it that IPMC members expect a podling’s mentors to review and vote on a release?

Historically I’ve tended toward the latter, but my thinking has changed over time. While podlings have an explicit set of mentors, the IPMC as a whole can be thought of as an informal set of mentors. Reviewing and voting on podling release candidates is one way for any IPMC member to help a podling whether a mentor or not.

-Taylor

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.
My plan for PPMC votes is to simply send out "friendly reminder" emails
every 24 hours after the vote deadline has passed.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>
wrote:

> Pat Ferrel wrote on 4/22/17 11:46 AM:
> > Probably the wrong place for this but…
> >
> > What do people think about a governance change for approving releases
> > through the IPMC to wit:
> >
> > A week of no vote activity over the release proposal of a podling
> > should be considered a passing vote. In other words the IPMC is to
> > become a vetoing group.
>
> No, because as noted in this thread the board and Legal Affairs
> Committee already have a policy for Apache software releases:
>
>   https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#policy
>
> This is the spot where all the little legal bits of having a corporation
> intersects with the Incubator's ability to mentor new podlings in how to
> effectively run projects in the Apache Way.  However that legal policy
> in particular is not going to change IMO.
>
> Personally, I support any proposals that help ensure podling mentors are
> more actively engaged, and can better serve as the formal IPMC votes for
> podling releases.  Great to see some serious discussion about that in
> this thread and the upcoming IPMC chair election.  The incubator has
> been getting better organized as a whole over the past few years, and
> keeps improving, which is great to see.
>
> > I propose this for 2 reasons: 1) lack of votes or attention from the
> > IPMC seems all too prevalent and puts an undo drag on the energy and
> > velocity of community involvement. 2) the release has already been
> > voted on and checked by at least 3 PMC members of the podling (which
> > has ASF mentors in most all cases) so a veto role by the IPMC seems
> > to have minimum danger to the ASF system of checks and balances.>
>
> Yes, but the whole point of Incubation is that a podling is not yet a
> project.  Only Apache PMCs have the authority to make a release, thus
> only IPMC votes count.  On one hand this must feel incredibly annoying.
> On the other hand, it is the #1 reason we have the ASF as a corporation
> - to prevent the individual release manager from potentially getting
> sued *personally* for problems with the release.
>
> The fact that we have these documented policies, and that the board and
> IPMC enforces them means that legally, releases are acts of the
> Foundation.  Thus if anyone ever were to sue, they'd sue the Foundation
> (which has insurance and legal counsel) and not individual committers.
>
> --
>
> - Shane, IPMC Member
>   https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

James Bognar

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.
What exactly are we trying to achieve here?  There is a record number of
podlings in incubation and the best ideas so far are to shame more labor
out of the people that are already overloaded.  Sure that will work, as if
burnout wasn't already a problem for mentors.

What is the lesson for the podling?  That the only votes Apache cares about
are those performed by people who have never vetted a single commit to the
codebase?  Is this what community based development is all about, where
overworked bureaucrats put their fingers in various dykes pretending that
only they can function as the true gatekeepers to the arcane secrets of the
org?  Is it any wonder where animosity towards the org by those being
subjected to this mindset comes from, or that in the end what it breeds is
more harmful to the overall mission to graduate healthy projects than any
policy imperfections in podling releases overlooked by actual engineers
trying to get shit out the door?  Isn't that what the disclaimer is
supposed to be there for, instead of yet another imposition on the victims
of this nonsense?

Grow up folks.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> ...I have argued before for a single Mentor, with responsibilities just like
> the PMC Chairs and if failing the duties, duly replaced by IPMC...

Previous discussions led to proposals to have a "podling chair" with a
similar role to the PMC chair in a TLP.

Combined with Joe's proposal to elect deserving podling members as
IPMC members, we might decide to have a podling chair who's initially
a mentor but should transition to a podling committer soon and elect
that podling committer as IPMC member.

-Bertrand

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.
Continuing down the road of blaming each other for the problem is stupid.
Look the personnel is already ready, willing, and available to do the real
vetting.
All the IPMC has to do is recognize them and integrate them.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 8:47 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:06 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>>
>> I honestly think its time for us to consider being more board like
>> around here at
>> IPMC. May be not exactly as strict as the board, but moving in that direction.
>>
>> After all, being a podling means being TLP-on-training-wheels. That's the whole
>> idea. If your PMC shrinks -- you have to know what it means. Same here. If your
>> mentors are not active -- you've got to raise hell around here on general@
>> before its too late.
>
> I mostly agree, but would hesitate with the idea that a podling be responsible for
> raising a red flag when mentors are inactive. If the IPMC isn’t doing it’s job,
> that’s on us, not the projects we incubate.

I am not saying IPMC is off the hook here, but rather I'm trying to instill
a sense of self-reliance in a future TLP.

While PPMC is mostly an artificial construct from the ASF's point of view,
the idea there is to teach podling how the TLP PMC should behave. One
of the traits of this behaviour is to recognize problems within the community
and try to resolve them instead of semi-passively waiting for either board
or IPMC to intervene.

Again, I'm not advocating for shifting the responsibility as much as
I'm advocating
for shift in perspective. I would still expect the IPMC members to be watchful,
but I would also expect them to use every opportunity like that as a teaching
moment. E.g. "oh, so we've noticed you're struggling with mentors being MIA,
we're sorry about that, but have you considered escalating to IPMC and perhaps
soliciting additional mentors?" instead of "oh, so we've noticed
you're struggling
with mentors being MIA, let us fix this for you" (I'm obviously
exaggerating, but you
catch my drift).

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 4:50 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
>
>> I'm starting to wonder whether the real solution here should be along the
>> lines
>> of what a board would do to a TLP if its active PMC shrinks to less
>> than 3 people.
>>

> Oh, that's easy, and has been done quite a few times. The Board moves them
> to the Attic. ... The Board will give the PMC several chances, and this can
> drag out for a year, but at the end of the day, the Board says "enough" and
> forces the issue. Done. Attic'd.

That's what I was implying.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> I'm starting to wonder whether the real solution here should be along the
> lines
> of what a board would do to a TLP if its active PMC shrinks to less
> than 3 people.

Oh, that's easy, and has been done quite a few times. The Board moves them
to the Attic. ... The Board will give the PMC several chances, and this can
drag out for a year, but at the end of the day, the Board says "enough" and
forces the issue. Done. Attic'd.

Now, I'm not sure if you were trying to draw an analogy between Board/PMC
and IPMC/PPMC. From a legal/oversight perspective, these are very
different. I don't think the IPMC should be so drastic. But the Board must,
and will.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:46 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:56 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>>... We want all podlings to be actively mentored, and if that doesn't
>> happen they should look for new mentors to make sure they have at
>> least one that's active which includes voting on releases.
>>
> How do we communicate this out more?...

A blog post maybe? We do have some at
https://blogs.apache.org/incubator/ already.

-Bertrand

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:56 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ...we can argue that mentors have an obligation to vote on releases of an
> > incubating project first before the vote is taken to this ml...
>
> Mentors not voting on releases gives a very bad signal to me as to
> their engagement in the podling.

Huge +1 on this.

> We want all podlings to be actively mentored, and if that doesn't
> happen they should look for new mentors to make sure they have at
> least one that's active which includes voting on releases.

How do we communicate this out more? Several of us have been harping on
this, saw some progress, but not quite enough.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:50 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now, we can argue that mentors have an obligation to vote on releases of an
> incubating project first before the vote is taken to this ml. But that
> could lead to unnecessary delays and frustration.

Having the mentors vote in the podling mailing list *saves* time in my
experience even if you don't get all three votes.

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Mentors, like any other contributor, are volunteers. And have complex
schedules to juggle. Being in that role doesn't avoid (at all times)
missing a vote regarding a release. Thus it is not a guarantee.

We saw it happen in recent vote regarding the latest release of the
incubating Trafodion project, where none of the mentors voted when the vote
was held in the community. But as all other participating contributors
voted in favour of releasing, the vote was subsequently called in this ml.
See [1].

Now, we can argue that mentors have an obligation to vote on releases of an
incubating project first before the vote is taken to this ml. But that
could lead to unnecessary delays and frustration.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8eca13e52620d16c3f974bc5054d59af29fa98d30763d646829a3850@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 12:05 AM Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
> > I don't
> > think releasing something out of ASF that hasn't had at least 3 binding
> votes
> > would be advisable.
>
> AFAIK, projects "publish" to
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache as part
> of CI build without vetting and votes. There are also other snapshots
> (example; https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/win/) that are
> not Maven artifacts.
>
> IF we allow those, then why not allow podlings to do the same thing?

Podlings are allowed to do both.  Infra sets them up for either.  There's a
call out for TLPs that these snapshots are meant for dev preview/testing of
new functionality.  This call out applies to podlings as well.

Note that this isn't a "outside the ASF" release.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>

>> I'm starting to wonder whether the real solution here should be along the
>> lines
>> of what a board would do to a TLP if its active PMC shrinks to less
>> than 3 people.
>

> That will inevitable lead to definition of "what is active" and the whole
> "pity me/them for not having time" discussion that always arises when
> Mentor responsibilities are brought up.

True. But this is exactly what happens to a TLP, isn't it?

It is true that this will re-define mentorship expectations, but I think it
we may benefit from this re-definition in the long run. As it stands, being
a mentor today is way less commital than being a PMC member and
I don't think this is right.

I also suspect that re-defining commitment this way would serve
as a forcing function for potential podlings that don't get enough
engaged mentors up-front to fail fast (they won't be able to enter
Incubator) instead of getting stuck in limbo.

> I have been Mentor on 8 podlings;
>   * I was inactive on 1 of those (can't recall the reason)
>   * On 2 projects one other mentor was active.
>   * Remaining 5 projects, none of the other mentors did anything
> substantial, most nothing at all.
>
> Am I unlucky, scare others to inactivity, or is this what I think; people
> don't take the responsibility particularly seriously. "Oh cool project, I
> would like to be associated with that."
>
> Pat's suggestion is understandable, but not really viable.
>
> I would like to make a counter-suggestion, and I am sure IPMC won't like
> it, since it is filled with inactive, but sensitive, mentors;
>
>    * If the release is left dangling (not enough votes) for IPMC approval
> beyond 72 hours,
>      1. The release may be placed in the dist snapshot areas, so active
> community members have some stable milestone to work with,
>      2. An Incubator page (for instance the /projects page) is updated with
> a "Attempted Release - failed not enough votes" with dates and votes
> received. This will accumulate the data points for IF there is a real
> problem in the Incubator and we can gather the stats if we have
> irresponsible mentors or not. It also gives the podling a vent for the
> frustration.

This is exactly the kind of stats gathering I was referring to. At the
same time,
I think the line in the sand is pretty clear -- it only is stats
gathering. I don't

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 5:14 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another solution is to do back door politicking where you contact IPMC
>> members individually and ask them to take a look. Start with members who
>> have voted on Mahout releases in the past and be specific about what you
>> would like them do and provide links to artifacts and discussions to make
>> the job easy.
>>
>> That has usually been my best way to succeed on that.
>>

> 9 times out of 10, I ignore those emails.  If its someone I don't know,
> I'll send them over to http://incubator.apache.org/whoweare.html .  I'm not
> sure who created that page but I like it.
>
> We rely first and foremost of podling mentors to review releases.  Its much
> easier to review a release if the mentors have reviewed and given it a once
> over.  We're all volunteers here.  To me its also a good sign of mentor
> engagement seeing the mentors review the releases.

And that's exactly why my constant advice to all the podlings is to get at least
3 mentors so that at least in theory those are the ones from IPMC who would
care.

Interestingly enough, it hasn't really worked 100% but it is definitely better
than hoping for random IPMC votes.

I'm starting to wonder whether the real solution here should be along the lines
of what a board would do to a TLP if its active PMC shrinks to less
than 3 people.

This actually reminds me that I need to write my positioning statement since
this is definitely one of the issues I'd like to keep exploring more and more
instead of waiting for emails like the one that started this thread to kick us
in the collective IPMC butt.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Your proposal violates foundation policy on releases and is therefore a
> > nonstarter.  The ipmc isn't empowered to restructure release policy.
>
> Specifically, the problem Joe is pointing out is that three actual PMC
> members are required to vote +1 on a release.

Note the above.

This is one of the strongest policies put in place by the Foundation. Three
*affirmative* votes are required, so lazy consensus is not applicable. The
Board and its right hand, Legal Affairs, will not budge on that
requirement. (and good luck trying to do so)

Cheers,
-g

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.
Your proposal violates foundation policy on releases and is therefore a
nonstarter.  The ipmc isn't empowered to restructure release policy.

That said, talk to your project mentors about nominating competent release
managers and others participating constructively in the vetting process at
the podling level to the ipmc.  It seems we've dropped the ball again on a
problem we solved years ago by not keeping up with the pace of growth.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.
Incorrect.  These people I'm talking about are already voting on (their
own) releases, we just fail to count their votes as binding because we are
anally retentitive about our own status.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> I agree that lack of IPMC votes is a problem. I don’t think that lowering the bar to making a release is the solution.

+1 to that.

> I wish that each IPMC member would personally commit to voting on two release
> candidates per year. There are so many members of the IPMC that this would
> easily cover all of the votes that come up.

It would be interesting to start gathering the stats as we used to see
a few trends
and also consider how can we reverse them. For instance, I'd like to see the
percentage of votes that comes from mentors, etc.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incubator Governance Change

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
There have been no binding votes, thanks.

On Apr 22, 2017, at 11:31 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

How many binding votes do you need at this point?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
+1 non-binding

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.