Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com> on 2015/12/30 16:05:38 UTC

Ignite Voting Process

Igniters,

We've published Ignite Voting Process, please have a look before sending +1
to vote ;)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Voting+Process

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
This shouldn't be called "Voting Process". This is "How to verify the release"
at best ;)

Also, it needs to be a part of "How to release" document because it describes
certain mechanics of it ie sending emails, making announcements, etc.

Cos

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Thanks Anton, this is great!

As Cos mentioned, Voting Process is not a good name this doc. I have
renamed it to Release Process.

Also, looks like the RAT step is missing. Can it be added?

D.

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 31.12.2015 09:58, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 30.12.2015 16:30, Raul Kripalani wrote:
>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> Why don't we publish artifacts for ignite-geospatial, ignite-hibernate and
>> ignite-schedule? The lgpl profile is not triggered in these instructions,
>> and these artifacts cease existing in Maven Central 1.2.0-incubating
>> onwards.
>>
>> I know they depend on LGPL-licensed libraries, but we can publish our
>> Ignite components WITHOUT packaging the upstream dependencies (Hibernate,
>> etc.). Then we would be complying with the ASF ruleset to my understanding,
>> because:
>>
>> 1. These modules are optional.
>> 2. We don't package the LGPL dependencies: we simply write instructions on
>> our docs on how to fetch them separately.
> We'd be publishing modules that can't be used without the LGPL
> components. I'm not sure how that stands WRT our policies but I can't
> see how it would be a service to our users to actively nudge them
> towards using restrictive-licensed code.

I mean "binary modules;" the ASF release policy doesn't really apply to
binaries, but by analogy, we probably could publish those modules. My
doubt about this being a service to users still stands, however.

-- Brane

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by 李玉...@163, 18...@163.com.
Great!

在 16/1/1 02:35, Dmitriy Setrakyan 写道:

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
I tend to agree with Raul.

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Brane,

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Ignite Voting Process

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Anton,

Why don't we publish artifacts for ignite-geospatial, ignite-hibernate and
ignite-schedule? The lgpl profile is not triggered in these instructions,
and these artifacts cease existing in Maven Central 1.2.0-incubating
onwards.

I know they depend on LGPL-licensed libraries, but we can publish our
Ignite components WITHOUT packaging the upstream dependencies (Hibernate,
etc.). Then we would be complying with the ASF ruleset to my understanding,
because:

1. These modules are optional.
2. We don't package the LGPL dependencies: we simply write instructions on
our docs on how to fetch them separately.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-192
[2] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional

Regards,