Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Mainguy, Mike" <MM...@kmart.com> on 2003/09/30 18:52:09 UTC

[POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

What sort of ActionForms does everyone use?

#1 ActionForm
#2 DynaActionForm

Personally, I'm an advocate of the DynaActionForm as it seems to be able to
do 80-90% of everything I need to do and everything else can be done in my
business tier.  I have, however, run into another person who is dead set
against using it.  His rationale is that you are then unable to do custom
validation when you use the DynaValidatorForm...  I think you can still do
it, it's just a little more difficult, but, I'm polling to see if I'm out in
left field...

This message and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of Kmart Corporation (Kmart) and may contain confidential and proprietary information. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of information contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution and penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message immediately.

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Mainguy, Mike wrote:

> #1 ActionForm
> #2 DynaActionForm

I use DyanActionForms, as they are less work.

Less work, less time, less money, etc.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Koni Roth <ko...@bluewin.ch>.
#2 DynaActionForm

I don't think custom validation is difficult. We use commons validation
together with custom validation and it works fine.

Koni

Mainguy, Mike wrote:

> What sort of ActionForms does everyone use?
>
> #1 ActionForm
> #2 DynaActionForm
>
> Personally, I'm an advocate of the DynaActionForm as it seems to be able to
> do 80-90% of everything I need to do and everything else can be done in my
> business tier.  I have, however, run into another person who is dead set
> against using it.  His rationale is that you are then unable to do custom
> validation when you use the DynaValidatorForm...  I think you can still do
> it, it's just a little more difficult, but, I'm polling to see if I'm out in
> left field...

  Jump and the earth will rise to meet you!
  http://www.rothweb.ch
  http://www.rothconsulting.com

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 09/30/2003 09:04 PM Ted Husted wrote:
> As mentioned, you can subclass DynaActionForm and create whatever custom
> validations you need for a particular set of fields.
>
> What's trickier is using different Validator validations without
> defining a new DynaActionForm. Here, the trick is that the Validator
> goes by the "attribute" property, not the "name" property. Since the
> attribute defaults to the name property, many people don't specify it.
> But you can use it to create a coarse-grained DynaActionForm, and then
> define different Validator forms to use with different workflows.

Hi Ted,

didn't have time to digest this when it first came over the wire but now
I'm looking at it, I'm puzzled why we have DynaValidatorActionForm as
well as DynaValidatorForm.

DynaValidatorForm allows us to specify a validation configuration for a
named form, i.e. the action mapping's name. If this is too restrictive,
we can, if I understand correctly, specify a different validation
configuration in the action mapping's attribute.

So why do we need DynaValidatorActionForm, which allows us to specify a
validation configuration based on the path? It seems superfluous, or is
there some kind of restriction on the 'attribute' attribute which I
don't know of?

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
As mentioned, you can subclass DynaActionForm and create whatever custom
validations you need for a particular set of fields.

What's trickier is using different Validator validations without
defining a new DynaActionForm. Here, the trick is that the Validator
goes by the "attribute" property, not the "name" property. Since the
attribute defaults to the name property, many people don't specify it.
But you can use it to create a coarse-grained DynaActionForm, and then
define different Validator forms to use with different workflows.

-Ted.

Mainguy, Mike wrote:

> What sort of ActionForms does everyone use?
>
> #1 ActionForm
> #2 DynaActionForm
>
> Personally, I'm an advocate of the DynaActionForm as it seems to be able to
> do 80-90% of everything I need to do and everything else can be done in my
> business tier.  I have, however, run into another person who is dead set
> against using it.  His rationale is that you are then unable to do custom
> validation when you use the DynaValidatorForm...  I think you can still do
> it, it's just a little more difficult, but, I'm polling to see if I'm out in
> left field...
>

> This message and its contents (to include attachments) are the property of Kmart Corporation (Kmart) and may contain confidential and proprietary information. You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on information contained herein is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of information contained herein may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution and penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message immediately.

Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,
   Struts in Action - <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>,
   JSP Site Design  - <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1861005512>.

"Get Ready, We're Moving Out!!" - <http://www.clark04.com>

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Sgarlata Matt <sg...@bah.com>.
Definitely not old; I love the polls!

There is not a single regular ActionForm in my project.  #2 all the way.

I will also mention that Craig McClanahan did some speed tests of
ActionForms vs. DynaActionForms and since ActionForms use reflection whereas
DynaActionForms do simple method calls on Maps, DynaActionForms run faster
in addition to being easier to create :)

Matt

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
DynaActionForm +1

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Nick wrote:

>So why can't you write a unit test for Dyna*Forms?  It's easy to load the struts-config.xml
>and create the necessary form beans for out-of-container testing.

This approach would be even easier if Struts provided some "mock
objects" infrastructure with premade utility classes that help you do
this sort of thing.  That's one of the enhancement areas on my wishlist
for future versions of Struts.

Craig

Re: [POLL] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Nick <ni...@systemmobile.com>.

--
Nick Heudecker
SystemMobile, Inc.

RE: [OT] ActionFrom vs DynaActionForm

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
hmmm...
perhaps they need a section on Mark & me in the FAQ? ;-)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.

Posted by Vic Cekvenic <ce...@basebeans.com>.
+1 ActionForms.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
#2 - It was I revelation when I realised I didn't need to write ActionForms!

(But one day soon I'm going to look at XDoclet to see what that can do for
me).

Steve

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
Don't quit yer day job - the Malaysian Poet Laureate position is probably
tentative at best.

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
"when?"