Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Stephen Caine <St...@commongrnd.com> on 2006/11/08 20:03:16 UTC

Derby Web Manager

Derby Users:

Our company has created a web-based Derby manager.  This is an
"preview" that we are putting up for a short while so Derby users can
play with it.

The Derby manager (QDBM) will be included in our next Qilan release
(our web development product).

To access QDBM, go to: http://willow.powersrvcs.net:8080/qilan/
_q_support/

Username:	qilan
Password:	qdbm

A single database is running, Portal_Control.  It can be accessed with:

Username:	QILAN
Password:	MY_PASSWORD

If you want to see what the web interface (front end) looks like that
uses Portal_Control, go to:

http://willow.powersrvcs.net:8080/qilan/Login

The login information can be viewed by holding the cursor over the
input fields (title tags).

While it is fine to modify Portal_Control, it may become unusable if
certain data is deleted/modified.  If this happens, notify
stephen@commongrnd.com to restore the data base.

We appreciate your comments and suggestions.  We expect it will get
broken several times over the next few days :)

Stephen Caine
CommonGround Softworks, Inc.
www.qilan.com

Phil McNamara
CommonGround Softworks Inc.
info@commongrnd.com
http://www.commongrnd.com

Re: Derby Web Manager

Posted by Stephen Caine <st...@commongrnd.com>.
Kristian,

> I tried out your web-based Derby manager.
> It seemed to work very well, except that my X server freaked out
> about drawing those Mac graphics!
> (took all cpu for quite long every time a new window/frame was
> created, or when I used the scroll bars)

Thank you for the kind words.

> Don't really know what else you could have added, as I'm not using
> these kind of tools much. On first sight, I did not miss any basic
> features related to manipulating the contents of the database.

> I did not see any interface for backing up/restoring the database
> or letting another user access the database, but maybe I missed it
> or this kind of functionality might be out of scope.

We have not planned on including this functionality, but it is an
excellent idea and will be considered.  We are planning on adding
data import and schema editing (as supported by Derby SQL).

> I would recommend users more experienced with management systems to
> try it out and comment on it!
>
> I can see the value of the software in letting users manage their
> own databases on a server through a web-interface, as I have seen
> some ISPs offer.

Thank you,

Re: Derby Web Manager

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.

[...]