Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Dudley <pd...@anl.com.au> on 2006/07/12 04:51:47 UTC

Rejection text

We are using SA 3.0.4.

If we decide to reject low grade spam messages rather than quarantine
them, is it possible to add text to the body of the rejection message?

Paul Dudley
ANL IT Operations Dept.
ANL Container Line
pdudley@anl.com.au

ANL DISCLAIMER

Re: Rejection text

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Paul Dudley wrote:

> We are using SA 3.0.4.
>
> If we decide to reject low grade spam messages rather than quarantine
> them, is it possible to add text to the body of the rejection message?
>
> Paul Dudley

Assuming you are talking about a true SMTP-reject operation, no.
You cannot modify the message as you've not accepted it, so it's
not yours to modify.
You can customize the SMTP-reject error text but there's no guarantee
that the originating sender will actually see it. For example, in the
case of Outlook with Exchange, M$ will "balderize" the message and
remove any useful info you try to add to the error message.

If you do a SMTP-accept of the message and then try to bounce it
back to the purported sender, you can make it say anything
your heart desires. However as others have already pointed out
this is a 'BAD-THING(tm)' to do.

Dave

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Rejection text

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 06:16, John D. Hardin took the opportunity to write:
> Rejecting (bouncing) spam

Isn't there any sort of consensus about the terminology? I like to say
that "reject" means giving a negative (permanent (5xx) or temporary (4xx))
reply to a command, whereas "bounce" means composing and sending
an "undeliverable mail" notification message.

Unfortunately RFC 2821 doesn't define the terms. The word "reject" is
generally used in the "negative reply" sense, but section 2.4 says "Delivery
SMTP systems MAY reject ('bounce') such messages rather than deliver them".
THe word "bounce" is used three times in all. The more formal term (though
it's not listed in the Terminology section is "to send a notification
message", but that is so long...

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

Re: Rejection text

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 aaron@barwonwater.vic.gov.au wrote:

> "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> wrote on 12/07/2006 02:16:49 PM:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Paul Dudley wrote:
> >
> > > If we decide to reject low grade spam messages rather than
> > > quarantine them, is it possible to add text to the body of the
> > > rejection message?
> >
> > Rejecting (bouncing) spam is utterly pointless, as 99% of it will have
> > forged sender information. You will either be sending your notice to a
> > nonexistent address, in which case you get yet more useless traffic
> > back to your server in the form of a bounce of your bounce, or your
> > notice will go to some innocent third party, possibly contributing to
> > an effective DDoS against their email account.
>
> What about rejection of the message during message processing?
> Sending back an SMTP error code rather than generation of a
> completely new bounce message? Sendmail milter with Mimedefang etc
> allows you to do this.

That's probably okay as you're still talking to the sending relay and
not relying on a probably-forged header. In fact, it would help
troubleshooting in certain situations.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: Rejection text

Posted by aa...@barwonwater.vic.gov.au.

"John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> wrote on 12/07/2006 02:16:49 PM:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Paul Dudley wrote:
>
> > If we decide to reject low grade spam messages rather than
> > quarantine them, is it possible to add text to the body of the
> > rejection message?
>
> Rejecting (bouncing) spam is utterly pointless, as 99% of it will have
> forged sender information. You will either be sending your notice to a
> nonexistent address, in which case you get yet more useless traffic
> back to your server in the form of a bounce of your bounce, or your
> notice will go to some innocent third party, possibly contributing to
> an effective DDoS against their email account.

What about rejection of the message during message processing? Sending
back an SMTP error code rather than generation of a completely new
bounce message? Sendmail milter with Mimedefang etc allows you to do this.

Cheers,
Aaron

Re: Rejection text

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.