Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2013/10/16 21:07:00 UTC

jclouds at the Hong Kong JUG on Nov. 4

Hi All,

I know it's a bit of a long shot but if anyone on these lists is in Hong Kong or is going there for the OpenStack Summit, I'll be speaking at the HKJUG [1] on Nov. 4. Here are the details.

Title:

Application Development in the Cloud with jclouds

Time:

Monday 4th November, 2013, 19:30-21:00

Location:

Room M109, Floor 1, Core M, Li Ka Shing Tower
Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Abstract:

The cloud has emerged as the next major platform. So where do developers turn for the toolkits that will make them productive and effective in the cloud?

For Java, the answer is jclouds.

Apache jclouds is an open source library that helps you get started in the cloud and utilizes your Java or Clojure development skills. The jclouds API gives you the freedom to use portable abstractions or cloud-specific features. It's a multi-cloud toolkit that works with both public and private clouds, enabling hybrid cloud workloads.

There is a great community behind this toolkit working together to provide a better experience for developers in the cloud. Their goal is to simplify the control of many different clouds while still giving you the freedom to use cloud-specific features. The result is a toolkit that allows developers to write better code, in a shorter period of time, that works with supported clouds.

In this meeting, you will learn how to write Java that can control multiple clouds using interoperable code with jclouds. The agenda is as follows:

1. Overview of jclouds, its terminology and its community.
2. Purpose and benefits of using jclouds.
3. Install jclouds for use on the command line.
4. Work through an example of using jclouds to start virtual machines in the cloud.
5. Work through an example of using jclouds to store files in the cloud.

Speaker Biography:

Everett Toews is a Developer Advocate at Rackspace making OpenStack and the Rackspace Cloud easy to use for developers and operators. Sometimes developer, sometimes advocate, and sometimes operator. He's a committer on Apache jclouds and co-author of the OpenStack Operations Guide. In the past he's built web applications, taught workshops, and presented at conferences such as Gluecon, OSCON, and the OpenStack Summits. He has also deployed OpenStack in production.

Cheers,
Everett

[1] http://hkjug.org/2013-11-04-application-development-in-the-cloud-with-jclouds

Re: jclouds at the Hong Kong JUG on Nov. 4

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
You can find a list of *some* of our users at Apache jclouds Community Members [1].

Would you like your company/project to join that list?

Check out How to Contribute Documentation [2] to add yourself.

You can also see some of the providers that have allowed us to use test account on their clouds [3]. This list should be expanding in the near future.

Cheers,
Everett

[1] http://jclouds.incubator.apache.org/documentation/reference/apps-that-use-jclouds/
[2] https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/How%20to%20Contribute%20Documentation