Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net> on 2002/12/03 06:52:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Alias not working

Hi all,
    I recently setup an Apache web server on a Win 2K computer.  I let
the installer set everything up (that works fine for basic stuff using
the Win 2K installer).  It's worked fine this way since I set it up.  In
the last couple days I have been trying to map an alias so that I could
access a directory on the other drive on the same computer.  I read the
description in the docs for alias and found a couple of alias entries in
httpd.conf that I could use as a reference.  My Apache installation is
on C: and the directory I'm trying to map to is
D:\Shared\APRS\ArchiveData\News, and I want it to appear as /news on my
website.  I can't make it work.  I have tried many different variations
and always get a 404 error.  Below is an excerpt of my modified
httpd.conf.  I used the alias for /manual as a reference to start out
with.  I started out taking the alias and <directory...> below it and
modified the target of both to the /news directive.  I then restarted
Apache and it would not start.  After some experimenting I found that no
matter what I put into the <Directory..., Apache would not start.  It
results in a "The requested operation has failed!" error message.  Below
are several other variations of the <Directory... statement that were
tried.  No matter what, Apache would not start.  If I leave the
<Directory... statement out (or remed out), Apache starts, but the alias
is not recognized.  As a sanity test, I copied the Alias for /manual to
create a second line that defined an alias of /man.  I restarted Apache
and the /man alias was recognized. I will fully admit that I don't
really understand the stuff inside the <Directory... statement, but the
Alias seemed simple enough.  The excerpt below is exactly as it is as I
type this.
    So, what am I missing?

Alias /manual "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/manual"

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/manual">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNoExec
    AddOutputFilter Includes html
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#
# This segment added 12-02-02 to allow access to News archive
#
Alias /news "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News"

# <Directory "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News/">
#    Options Indexes MultiViews
#    Order allow,deny
#    Allow from all
# </Directory>

# <Directory "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News/">
#    Options Indexes MultiViews
#    AllowOverride None
#    Order allow,deny
#    Allow from all
# </Directory>

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395
To send me PGP encrypted E-Mail, use:
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/PublicKey.html

Re: [users@httpd] Alias not working

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
Alias /news "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News" does not point to a directory,
but a file. Hence the 404, it cannot find the file /news. If you put a
traling / behind those, Apache will now that your aliasing a directory.

So you should use
Alias /news/ "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News/"

At least, that would be the case on *nix.

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
Robert Lilly wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 21:52, Jim Walls wrote:
> <snip>
> > Alias /news "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News"
> >
> > # <Directory "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News/">
> > #    Options Indexes MultiViews
> > #    Order allow,deny
> > #    Allow from all
> > # </Directory>
> >

> > # <Directory "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News/">
> > #    Options Indexes MultiViews
> > #    AllowOverride None
> > #    Order allow,deny
> > #    Allow from all
> > # </Directory>
>
> Have you tried eliminating the forward after slash 'News' in
> "D:/Shared/APRS/ArchiveData/News/"?

I'm assuming you mean in the <Directory... statement.  Yes.  I have tried it
both ways (among others).  In the Alias statement, I have tried it both with
and without the trailing slash.

Posted by Robert Lilly <rc...@lvcm.com>.