Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jason Fager <jf...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/06 22:25:33 UTC

interest in minor contention issues?

Hi all,

I'm doing some work with the Java Debugger Interface, and I'm using
Cassandra as a test bed.  I've found a few minor contention spots
(example: MessageDigest.getInstance() being called for every
invocation of FBUtilities.hash()), but before I start possibly
spamming your jira with them, I wanted to gauge the general interest
in knowing these kinds of minor issues.  I'm happy to report them as
they come up while I'm doing my work, but if you consider them too
minor to worry about until they actually show up as impacting
performance during profiling, I don't want to annoy anyone.  Let me
know.

- Jason

Re: interest in minor contention issues?

Posted by Jason Fager <jf...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

No problem, thanks for all the work you and everyone on the dev team
do on Cassandra.

I have a small bit of wrapper code for scripting the Java Debugger
Interface, which is up at https://github.com/jfager/jdiscript.  I also
have a short writeup on it at
http://jasonfager.com/888-introducing-jdiscript/.  In a nutshell, I
just ran Cassandra with the debugger set to fire  events on JDI's
MonitorContendedEnterEvent, and handle them by printing out
stacktraces.

If I get some time in the next day or so, I'll take another shot at
the 0.7 codebase.

Best,
Jason

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason <jf...@gmail.com>.
Right now there are just a couple.  It sounds like there's enough interest, so I'll just add them as they come up, and if it starts to be alot, I'll start coalescing them.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Fager <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>.
On 8/6/10 1:37 PM, Gary Dusbabek wrote:
> I think if there is a demonstrable increase in performance or other
> obvious wins, then you should go ahead and submit jiras (and patches).

+1, when you have hundreds of threads, even minor contention issues may
be significant.

=Rob

Re: interest in minor contention issues?

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.