Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dave Hoffer <DH...@xrite.com> on 2006/05/10 23:38:53 UTC

why does my release fail?

I just got my first two maven2 projects to release properly this
morning.  I am using the following plugin because I need to support
starteam scm.

GroupId: org.apache.maven.plugins
ArtifactId: maven-release-plugin
Version: 2.0-beta-4-SNAPSHOT

This beta plugin had two dependencies on snapshots that were not in
public repositories:

Plexus-compiler-manager-1.6-SNAPSHOT
Plexus-compiler-javac-1.6-SNAPSHOT

With these installed everything was fine and I was able to perform the
release of two projects.

I then tried to do the same for a third and I got build failures.
However, this was about the same time that the apache.org web site went
down.  I now see that www.apache.org is back up but I cannot connect to
svn.apache.org yet.  In any case, I thought I should be able to use
maven offline with the -o switch but here is what I fine.

Mvn -o compile works fine
Mvn -o release:prepare does not work it says that it is trying to
download plexus-compiler-javac-1.6-SNAPSHOT.pom which it cannot do (I
assume it is down).

Why does it need to download anything?  I just ran this goal against
another project so everything should still be on my local system right?
Plus I thought the -o was supposed to force this behavior.  It seems
that -o works for compile but now for release.

Is it because I am dependent on a SNAPSHOT plugin for the release goal?
I don't mind if I have to wait for svn.apache.org to come back up but at
this point I don't really understand what the cause of the problem is.

Any ideas?

-dh

Re: why does my release fail?

Posted by Andrew Kreps <an...@gmail.com>.
I'm also using the Release plugin 2.0-beta-4-SNAPSHOT code.  I did
have to recompile it without the SNAPSHOT in the version name, since
the release plugin wouldn't allow me to generate an actual release
with SNAPSHOT plugin code.  I got a good laugh out of that one.

I can't explain why the release command worked once, but I can tell
you what's wrong with that command.  The -o flag disables the
connection to the server, therefore the release plugin cannot download
the needed dependency.  Also, the apache.org downtime never affected
the primary maven repository mirror, www.ibiblo.org.  If you remove
the -o flag, the download should work properly.  If it doesn't, you
should check your mirror configuration.

This repository is running just fine: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/
.

Re: why does my release fail?

Posted by Sean McNamara <ta...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave-

I'm not sure exactly why it's happening, but we are seeing the same thing, and it does appear to be a result of using the SNAPSHOTS and the fact that the apache servers appear down.

I know that's not really helpful, but at least you know you aren't alone. :-)