Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jarrah Hands <jh...@nd.edu.au> on 2005/08/18 09:45:39 UTC

Using a samba share with Slide

G'day once again guys,

While I trying to get my Roles issue sorted out I started to look at tying
slide into a samba share (ie user home drives) in other words users can
access their home drive via slide to upload, download, edit etc. Can anyone
think of a way to do this? Currently the users authenticate to a LDAP
directory which contains their role (eduPersonAffiliation (student or
employee) - which I can extract, but does not seem to be associated with the
log in...) and their home drive (homedirectory) in the form:

/qfs1/home/students/19902076

Can anyone think of a way to dynamically extract this from the slide server,
set it in domain.xml (as maybe the files directory path or something) so
that each user could access their home drive via slide?

I realize that there is one known issue as James Mason outlined: "...I see
one big problem with doing this: how are you going to keep the metadata in
sync when someone moves or copies a file?" The intention of the university
is to remove students' access to their home drives from everything but
slide/WebDAV so that we can create a truly mobile user experience (no more
having to configure individual computers for staff and students! Yah!)

Any ideas?

Jarrah Hands
Software Engineer (Business Applications)
The University of Notre Dame Australia
19 Mouat Street (PO Box 1225)
Fremantle, Western Australia 6959
Tel: +61 9 9433 05287