Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Smith <ch...@interspire.com> on 2004/02/03 03:56:15 UTC

XML data was not well-formed

Hi all,

I've just set up subversion on a debian 3 (stable) box using the
packages from http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/subversion-woody/ .

I tried to follow the instructions at
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/README

I set up a repository:

$ sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/subversion/

(fix up permissions)

$ svnadmin create /var/lib/subversion/sendstudio
$ svn import -m 'sendstudio in subversion' sendstudio/
file:///var/lib/subversion/sendstudio/
Adding         sendstudio/Setup and Documentation
Adding  (bin)  sendstudio/Setup and Documentation/Installation and
Developer Guide (PHP).doc
Adding         sendstudio/release_with_devedit/users/unsub.php

Committed revision 1.
$

It all seemed to go pretty well. There are about 450 files that got
added.

However, I can't check out the files.

$ svn co file:///var/lib/subversion/sendstudio
A  sendstudio/release_with_devedit/admin/images/m_stats.gif
svn: XML data was not well-formed
svn: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 3

I found
http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svnusers/archive-2003-12/0075.shtml but
following it through didn't seem to have any resolution.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

Thanks,
Chris.

Re: XML data was not well-formed

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Monday 02 February 2004 22:56, Chris Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just set up subversion on a debian 3 (stable) box using the
> packages from http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/subversion-woody/ .

I see the Debian users all come out at once. :-)  I've warned others on this
list, and I'm going to warn you as well.  BDB 4.1.25 has issues.  It appears
to cause random repository corruption, and as Justin pointed out in another
email, this may be due to some problems in 4.1.25's shared memory
implementation.  IMHO, 4.1.25 is just not reliable enough for Subverion's
needs.

If you value your time and Intellectual Property, I would get the latest
subversion (0.37.0), apache2 (2.0.48), and BDB (4.2.52).  Recompile them all
and use it instead.  You'll need to make sure you do a dump/load of your
repositories since the database schema has changed between 0.33 and 0.37.
Look at the FAQ for how that is done.

-John

RE: XML data was not well-formed

Posted by Chris Smith <ch...@interspire.com>.
Aha!

I had some weird files, I didn't think it would cause a problem.

blank.gif:?Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:$DATA
blank.gif:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA

Not sure how they got named like that, but after starting from scratch
and re-importing everything without these files it worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

Chris.

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@deneb.enyo.de>.

Posted by Chris Smith <ch...@interspire.com>.
Nope.

I copied and pasted my commands :/

I didn't see anything in the docs but do I need to change anything on
the client side of things to just use file:/// instead of using http://
?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.