Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Sean A." <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/29 04:35:08 UTC

Tomcat Compatibility

Hello,

	I'm looking to brush up on my Servlets/JSP skills, and I have a book
that I'd like to use (_Head First Servlets and JSP_).  It uses Tomcat in
its examples though, and I would like a full-fledged container for
future experimentation.  What are the compatibility issues between
Geronimo and Tomcat that I should know about?  Is there anything
different in the directory structure, for example?  Thanks for your time.

		--Forty-Two

Re: Tomcat Compatibility

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
The configurations of Tomcat do not change too much between different major
versions from my view. One thing to be noticed, some elements are not
support in Geronimo, e,g. It will not allow to configure context in the
server.xml, as Geronimo uses its own configuration to keep those installed
application.
Anyway, any problem, think you could ask in Tomcat or Geronimo community.

2011/12/29 Forty-Two <se...@gmail.com>

> Thanks, so I shouldn't have too many problems in the configuration.  I
> didn't
> think of this earlier, but the version of Tomcat the book uses is 5.5, not
> the latest version, Tomcat 7 (Or is that a beta...).  Will that cause any
> compatibility problems other than that which would be experienced between
> the major versions?

Ivan

Re: Tomcat Compatibility

Re: Tomcat Compatibility

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
>From the serlvet/jsp spec compatibility, I think both of them had passed
corresponding TCK, so they should be consistent, if using Geronimo 2.2.*
and 3.0-beta-1, you will find they almost use the same configuration file.
but Geronimo uses its own authentication, security, JNDI and etc
Hope it helps.

--
Ivan