Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2004/07/05 09:54:38 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apr/build jlibtool.c

--On Monday, July 5, 2004 7:38 AM +0000 martin@apache.org wrote:

> martin      2004/07/05 00:38:39
>
>   Modified:    build    jlibtool.c
>   Log:
>   Update the license, plus minor portability changes

Hello????  Have you even paid attention to the messages on dev@apr asking for
an explanation regarding the jlibtool commits?  That code has been vetoed
pending an explanation.

This trend of making commits without participating and responding to people's
issues regarding your commits is troubling.  By my count, there have been at
least three commits in the last month by you that has generated another
committer asking questions without a reply or correction.

Joe has even gone so far to back out some of your bogus changes since you
haven't replied - I'm about ready to do the same here if an explanation is
proffered soon.  -- justin

Re: cvs commit: apr/build jlibtool.c

Posted by Martin Kraemer <ma...@apache.org>.
> Maybe this horse has already been beaten to death: what version of
> libtool are you using, and have you tried fixing it?

Yes, I did. But have you looked at the code of libtool yourself?
It's not very "modular", IMHO.... But let's not fire the libtool
discussion again.

> Still awaiting feedback on the configure res_init() change too...

You backed that out, and were right with your argumentation: apr
does not need resolver support, so I was wrong adding it.
(What did it fix for me? A semi-broken implementation of get*by*()
in libsocket which was fixed by including libbind first. That change
should not have slipped into the commit.)

  Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>         |     Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-47655 | 81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: cvs commit: apr/build jlibtool.c

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 02:01:44PM +0200, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> OTOH, I use jlibtool and like it because it works very well, and it is
> better suited for adding in support for platforms where stock libtool
> behaves incorrectly (than aplibtool which is very OS/2 specific).

Maybe this horse has already been beaten to death: what version of
libtool are you using, and have you tried fixing it?

Still awaiting feedback on the configure res_init() change too...

joe

Re: cvs commit: apr/build jlibtool.c

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Monday, July 5, 2004 7:31 PM -0700 Justin Erenkrantz
<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> --On Monday, July 5, 2004 2:01 PM +0200 Martin Kraemer
> <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, I use jlibtool and like it because it works very well, and it is
>> better suited for adding in support for platforms where stock libtool
>> behaves incorrectly (than aplibtool which is very OS/2 specific).
>>
>> Justin, please consider adding jlibtool to APR.
>
> Fair enough.  I've asked the Incubator what the right procedure is for
> importing the jlibtool code.  I figure we should be overly cautious here
> since we already mucked it up so far.  ;-)
>
> Will keep dev@apr posted...  -- justin

The necessary paperwork and legal bits are now filed away.  I committed it
back into the repository with Martin's 1.4 version - so it should have his
changes in it as well.

Please let me know if there are any further issues...  -- justin

Re: cvs commit: apr/build jlibtool.c

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Martin Kraemer <ma...@apache.org>.
Justin wrote,

> Hello????  Have you even paid attention to the messages on dev@apr asking for
> an explanation regarding the jlibtool commits?  That code has been vetoed
> pending an explanation.

My excuses to the list, and to Justin. I did not mean to "steal" code,
and you are completely right, only Justin may (if he so wishes) add it
to the repository. I simply did not think far enough.

OTOH, I use jlibtool and like it because it works very well, and it is
better suited for adding in support for platforms where stock libtool
behaves incorrectly (than aplibtool which is very OS/2 specific).

Justin, please consider adding jlibtool to APR.

Again, my excuses for being rather stupid.

  Martin