Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/13 16:47:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] disable remote index extraction by default [NB18]

Hello devs,

NB 18 will split the indexer setting into two check boxes, one for local
indexing, one for remote index extraction,

see screenshot: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5646

I propose to disable remote index extraction by default, until we solved
some more of the issues at least.

main complains are:

  - failing extraction when temp folder is too small e.g #5815 (NB 18
will deactivate indexing on extraction failure)

  - extraction takes too long e.g #5809

Local index scanning scans your .m2 repo, which is fast and might be
sufficient for many use cases and therefore a better default for now.

thoughts?

-mbien

Re: [DISCUSS] maven remote repo indexer improvements

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,

On 19.04.23 20:58, Antonio wrote:
> +1 to all these.
>
> The problem I have is that the Lucene indexer seems to be very CPU
> intensive, and my laptop starts levitating with all fans at full speed.

right. MT will make this worse as already mentioned since many notebooks
are not made for sustained load for more than a few minutes.

> This is a problem when working on open spaces, because the laptop
> becomes a sort of drone, but without remote control. Luckily the
> battery dies soon and the laptop ends up crashing quickly from a not
> very high altitude :-).

I mean this is partially a user error since you an turn indexing off
while traveling :)

> Now, seriously, it would be great if the indexing could be performed
> with a single low priority thread, gradually, even during several
> days, if required.

well.. not sure about this, but this is probably (easily) possible for
the first phase of the extraction since we could sleep in the callback -
assuming it is the right thread which it likely is. The lucene merge
thread is not under our control however. (btw thread priorities won't
influence system load)

but before we add a turtle mode checkbox, lets take a look if this helps:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4999

  - canceling a dl or extraction will turn index downloads off for a
while (for testing purposes this is just 2mins but this should be much
longer)

  - first download request will ask for user permission (per remote
repository, setting is not persisted atm)

  - MT is enabled by default

  - rest is in the old PR text

nothing is configurable atm. This is just a dev build for testing
purposes. (download via github actions summary page)

-mbien

Re: [DISCUSS] disable remote index extraction by default [NB18]

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.
+1 to all these.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

On 18.04.23 07:48, Jan Lahoda wrote:
> I apologize for being contrarian, but since the index download started for
> me (again) while on a bus with very poor internet connection, I guess I
> should tell you my view.
>
> Unless I am mistaken, the index gz has currently roughly 1.9GB, and it
> tooks several minutes to actually create the Lucene index from it,
> consuming some more space and CPU.

correct. However, this is the initial download and initial indexing.
Weekly index updates are usually ~8MB.

> To be honest, it never seemed very polite to me to download and process so
> much without asking.
>
> I guess alternatives that I would see would include (combination of options
> possible):
> - explicitly ask before downloading (possibly allowing the user to select
> auto-download)

+1 something we should do. First we had to add the actual setting
(#5646), NB 18 will be able to turn off remote indexing separately from
local .m2 scanning.

> - have the features that use the index do some query on a server, if there
> isn't a downloaded index (or if it is stale/obsolete)

see other mail. But yes I experimented with that (#4971).

> - given that https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4999 produces a
> smaller index, we could have a download location (server) at least for
> maven central that would serve this optimized index. If I understand it
> properly, the smallest index under that PR is 0.8GB, and if it would
> compress reasonably well, it might be (say) 0.5GB compressed - much better
> than 1.9GB, and no significant CPU usage after the index is downloaded.
> (Even if it was 0.8GB, it is still much better than 1.9GB+CPU churn.)

I personally don't care about the weekly index update at all - I barely
notice it when it updates once per week. However I am always open to
optimize it!

But keep in mind that remote index downloads work for more repos than
just central, e.g apache has one too.

If you suggest that we should index repos server-side and provide a
compressed index as a service for NB I wouldn't have anything against it
in principle, but I also don't want to run this service in my spare time.

We could in theory build it in CI and bundle the index with NB. However,
remember that this might annoy users which don't use java/maven. NB will
soon support rust and is popular for PHP etc.

regarding optimizations:

one step which runs unreasonably slow ATM is the index update. The delta
download is always below 10MB for central, while the index merge still
takes minutes. This is something I want to check once #4999 is merged.

best regards,

michael

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,
 I think for maven central is sonatype that own the repo, ASF is not in charge of that. So we will no spare much ASF resources. But sparing resources is not bad at all.

I'm not sure we can use ASF infra to cache that somewhere. Should be carefuly asked. VM are for us serving apidoc but serving huge file for each install may be an issue.

I have more question 😃 (and very egocentric view by the way).
Do we need to have a mavenindex generation per NetBeans version ? per platform using java clusters (ok this is my use case)? Per user ?
At university every NetBeans, or java based platform for each student download index, as index is too big for hardrive (cost 20% of student capacity) it's removed each week to avoid account soft lock.
If thoose index could be cached at university level that would be awesome, saving lots of time.
If nothing in index is user privacity involved.

To me as task can be long, asking first time should be done or a reminder until is done telling you will not have full potential until index run.

Best Regards
Eric

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tamas!

great to see you here.

On 18.04.23 10:57, Tamás Cservenák wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> just to chime in as a developer of maven-indexer:
>
> 1, Regarding server side processing we are shot in our foot, as index is
> provided (is produced and hosted) by Sonatype, and we have no much impact,
> nor is there any server side available. They just produce the GZIP files we
> can download and munge as much as we like on them.
> 2. Am unsure about exact indexer use cases within NB, but indexer offers a
> "remote client" for SMO as well (via HTTP to search web service),
> https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/tree/master/search-backend-smo
> still, is less powerful than full indexing context (that one that is GB in
> size), see tests

I didn't know that this existed. Awesome!

> 3. maven-indexer (the classic) could be combined with smo search: use
> classic to index local repository while for remote use SMO client, etc.or
> some sort of "overlay" could be possible as well...

I have a draft PR here which uses the web api directly for selected
search queries:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4971

will take a look at search-backend-smo - since this sounds like this
would replace all the json parsing of that PR.

Regarding using web services: I do think they have potential for
selective queries. But there will be features which likely won't work.
For example editor hints which scan the pom for version upgrades. I got
latencies between 200ms and 4s (!) per query (see PR for log). Right now
hints can run those checks instantly, with a web service this could take
minutes (assuming we don't get throttled).

NB does have a mechanism for returning partial results for queries
(instantly) and optionally blocking for full results. The web API would
never return anything instantly unless we would start to cache a search
engine locally which probably wouldn't work that well.

best regards,

michael

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
Interesting stats, but

Apache-NetBeans-17-bin-windows-x64.exe	643,458 downloads,
netbeans-17-bin.zip	                130,456 Downloads

the files being +- the same size.

but the traffic says:

netbeans-17-bin.zip			24,873,400,441,109
Apache-NetBeans-17-bin-windows-x64.exe	   539,363,119,735

...so the much less demanded file (comparable size) provides traffic
larger by 2 orders of magnitude. Something is fishy here.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jakub,

not sure. Since tmp is generally the best place for temporary files.
Other places would require periodic cleanups in case something happens.
The temp folder is only used during extraction, the final index is in
your cache folder.

(this PR would give us more control over some of the locations too:

https://github.com/apache/maven-indexer/pull/302)

if you can't or don't want to increase your temp folder size, you can
tell the JVM to use something else.

put this into your netbeans_default_options of netbeans.conf:

-J-Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/myothertmp

please make sure this folder is empty!

-mbien

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.
Hi,

This happens in some Linux distros that have a small /tmp directory (an
older Debian default partitioning did this, for instance).

I usually add a "-J-Djava.io.tmpdir=$HOME/tmp/NB" to the list of options
in the

[NETBEANS_INSTALL_DIRECTORY]/etc/netbeans.conf#netbeans_default_options

line.

HTH,
Antonio

Posted by Jakub Herkel <jh...@gmail.com>.