Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/14 21:18:56 UTC

webdav servlet - embedding and customized access

Hello there,

I have to implement a webdav server integrated with my Java
application and I wish to know if I can use tomcat Webdav Servlet.
I have some accounts, each account with it's own space and it's own
users. I wish to give users access to their account space. I've tried
milton and I'm not satisfied with the integration so I'm looking for
alternatives.

Basically I need help/info about the following:

- can I implement my own authorization (users are in DB)
- can I implement my own authorization - to allow users access only to
their own home directories
- can I plan to deploy it on Apache Karaf 2.3.3 which uses jetty as
embeded server so I would be curious to know if using it in another
servlet container is possible.

Best regards,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan

Re: webdav servlet - embedding and customized access

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark,

Thank you for the fast reply. I would very much appreciate if you
could provide some pointers on how I can achieve the security part.
Just enough to have some starting points. Planning to use Apache Shiro
for security.

I'm considering embedding tomcat in Apache Karaf. I don't know if
someone attempted it before. I've seen tomcat embedded examples [1],
[2].

If all things are well I'm going to attempt the integration over the weekend.

[1] http://java.dzone.com/articles/embedded-tomcat-minimal
[2] http://www.copperykeenclaws.com/embedding-tomcat-7/

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14/11/2013 20:18, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I have to implement a webdav server integrated with my Java
>> application and I wish to know if I can use tomcat Webdav Servlet.
>> I have some accounts, each account with it's own space and it's own
>> users. I wish to give users access to their account space. I've tried
>> milton and I'm not satisfied with the integration so I'm looking for
>> alternatives.
>>
>> Basically I need help/info about the following:
>>
>> - can I implement my own authorization (users are in DB)
>
> Yes.
>
>> - can I implement my own authorization - to allow users access only to
>> their own home directories
>
> Yes.
>
>> - can I plan to deploy it on Apache Karaf 2.3.3 which uses jetty as
>> embeded server so I would be curious to know if using it in another
>> servlet container is possible.
>
> Unlikely. The WebDAV servlet extends Tomcat's default Servlet and both
> make extension use of Tomcat's internal API.
>
> Mark

Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: webdav servlet - embedding and customized access

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/11/2013 20:18, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have to implement a webdav server integrated with my Java
> application and I wish to know if I can use tomcat Webdav Servlet.
> I have some accounts, each account with it's own space and it's own
> users. I wish to give users access to their account space. I've tried
> milton and I'm not satisfied with the integration so I'm looking for
> alternatives.
>
> Basically I need help/info about the following:
>
> - can I implement my own authorization (users are in DB)

Yes.

> - can I implement my own authorization - to allow users access only to
> their own home directories

Yes.