Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org> on 2004/12/02 15:56:37 UTC

[ALL][VFS] Third party java library.

Hello!

There is a contribution to add the novell netware filesystem to VFS -
currently the license for the used novell library (njclv2.jar) is not
know. And I cant find something on their website.
Now the question is: If we contact novell to ask them if they allow us
to put the library e.g. on ibiblio (or maybe non-public somewhere else)
to make it available to the build-process is such a grant sufficient for
ASF?

--
Mario

Re: [ALL][VFS] Third party java library.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

>Definitely not going to be sufficient if you imagine that it's a GPL
>license.

>So first step is, ask them what the licence is. Then we'll figure out
>what to do from there.

Thanks for the answer - this is what the contributor currently tries to do.

---

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hello!
>Do you have a url for the project at Novell that supplies the
>njclv2.jar? I need to pass something on to the legal team.

The library can be downloaded at http://developer.novell.com/ndk/njclc.htm

Thanks for taking the time to dig into the license stuff.

---

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mario,

With the odd wording of the Novell licence, it looks like we might
have to get permission on a case by case basis to make sure the
library isn't early-access etc.

Do you have a url for the project at Novell that supplies the
njclv2.jar? I need to pass something on to the legal team.

Thanks,

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

>So first step is, ask them what the licence is. Then we'll figure out
>what to do from there.

This is what we got from Novell. If one could review this NDK License it
would be nice.

> Hi there,
>       If the library is bundled with the application, then there is
> not a problem.  But if the library would be an independent download,
> then the end users will have to download it directly from Novell's
> website.  For more detatils see:
> http://developer.novell.com/ndk/license.htm (which you problably
> already did, but I don't blame, since all legal software matters is
> always confusing to everybody).
>
> Regards,
>
> Moises Morales
> Novell Developer Services.

Thanks!
---

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Definitely not going to be sufficient if you imagine that it's a GPL
license. Even with the author's permission to have it on iBiblio, we'd
still not be able to import it into our code.

So finding out the licence is going to be essential. Given Novell's
aquisitions, I imagine they'd be pretty open licence-wise, but it
could be GPL or have viral attachments of some kind that we'd be
passing on to our users.