Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <je...@apache.org> on 2005/08/21 17:37:39 UTC

Batik's use of Rhino (MPL/NPL issue)

So far this is still somewhat informal since the board meeting minutes
are not yet available but as far as I know the NPL/MPL resolution below
has passed. So, Batik can continue to use Rhino. Batik Devs and all
members of the XML Graphics PMC should read the resolution below.

I'm currently unsure about what the mention of the NOTICE file means in
our case, but I don't think any additional entries in the NOTICE file
are necessary. At least, I have found nothing that would have to go in
there. WDYT?

---

B. Allow redistribution of MPL- and NPL-licensed executables

       WHEREAS, some Project Management Committees (PMCs) within
       The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) expect to better serve
       their mission through the use and redistribution of the
       executable form of existing source code licensed under the
       Mozilla Public License (MPL) or Netscape Public License (NPL);
       and

       WHEREAS, it is the ASF's interpretation that the MPL and NPL
       licenses permit distribution of such executables under the
       terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0, provided the terms
       applicable to the associated source code have been complied
       with and that appropriate entries made in the ASF
       distribution's NOTICE file; and

       WHEREAS, the current ASF licensing policy discourages the
       distribution of intellectual property by the ASF under terms
       beyond those stated in the Apache License, Version 2.0.

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that PMCs may use and
       redistribute the executable form of existing source code
       licensed under the MPL 1.0, MPL 1.1, NPL 1.0, or NPL 1.1;
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that PMCs must ensure such redistribution only
       occurs after appropriate entries have been made in the ASF
       distribution's NOTICE file and only if the PMC finds that
       the MPL/NPL terms applicable to the associated source code
       appear to have been satisfied.

---

If there are any questions, please direct them to legal-discuss@ or to
me and I'll try to help.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Batik's use of Rhino (MPL/NPL issue)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
We're not talking about the GPL or LGPL here, just to be clear!!!

You just made me read section 3.6 of the MPL 1.1 about "Distribution of
Executable Versions" again because that's what Batik is doing. I read it
so that it says we can distribute the executable (the binary JAR file
conataining the compile Rhino) under the Apache License 2.0. We only
have to figure out what exactly to write into the NOTICE file.

The following URL is quite interesting and pretty well states the
intention of the license. It should also make clear that using an
MPL/NPL library in its binary form does not impose any more restriction
upon "Apache clients" than the Apache License already does.
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1-annotated.html

Jeremias Maerki