Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2008/11/10 19:42:43 UTC

Split hive out of core on Wednesday 11/12

We need to start getting the new sub-projects out of Core. As the
least intertwined, I think we should do Hive first. I'd like to
suggest 2pm on this Wednesday for the day to move the subversion
repos. You'll need to hold off on checkins to Hive between 2pm and
probably 2:30pm when I'll give the all clear.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/trunk/src/contrib/hive
will become
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/hive/trunk

After the move, you'll need to do svn switch to change your work
directory to the new url.

Other issues:
   1. I think it makes the most sense to leave the next Hive release
as 0.20.
   2. The Hive developers will need to decide how to schedule releases
now that they are independent.
   3. I'll create the new Jira repository and move the current bugs,
probably this afternoon.
   4. If you are working on Hive, please subscribe to hive-dev@hadoop
and hive-user@hadoop.
   5. I'll copy over the hbase forrest files so that someone can work
on making a project page for http://hadoop.apache.org/hive.

-- Owen

RE: Split hive out of core on Wednesday 11/12

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
Hi Owen,

After internal discussion we think that moving the svn tree earlier is better rather than waiting for Friday. We are not commiting anything into the source tree at this time. So please move the repository for hive tomorrow or Wednesday as you see fit. We will fix the deployment and build issues once the new repository is available.

Thanks,
Ashish

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
Hi Owen,

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Nov 10, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:

> Can we send out a link to sign up for the new email addresses?

Sorry about that. Send email to:

hive-dev-subscribe@hadoop.apache.org
hive-user-subscribe@hadoop.apache.org
hive-commits-subscribe@hadoop.apache.org

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <je...@gmail.com>.
Can we send out a link to sign up for the new email addresses?

Also, can we add:

7. Make a link to Hive under "subprojects" on the Hadoop home page.

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.