Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com> on 2008/01/21 13:00:57 UTC

[Somewhat OT] RSS lib for Struts app?

Hello,

This is somewhat OT but can someone please suggest a java RSS lib for my
struts1 app? What I want to do is fetch, cache (daily) and display the
latest one or two news items from a set of different feeds in jsp 2.0
pages so any taglibs along with the lib would be great.

A quick search gives Rome [1] and Informa [2] but it looks like they
haven't been updated for a year or more. Thanks in advance.

[1] https://rome.dev.java.net/
[2] http://informa.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Manos

Re: [Somewhat OT] RSS lib for Struts app?

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello Manos,

I'm with Mark - Rome is the de facto standard since informa is indeed quite
dead. If you choose Rome, then you can use the Rome RSS/Atom plugin for
Struts 2 - makes it all just a tiny bit easier, but this is for outputting
feeds only - not parsing them. It cannot be too hard to create a simple
interceptor that takes a feed url and parses it using Rome, and puts the
results on your action. Overall, I'd say working with Rome is dead easy.

Hth,

Phil

Re: [Somewhat OT] RSS lib for Struts app?

Posted by Mark McLaren <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manos,

I can't speak for Informa but I wouldn't take the inactivity of the
core ROME project in the last year as a sign of stagnation.  ROME is
quite a mature product that copes with all the major syndication
formats (AFAIK no major new syndication formats surfaced last year and
if they did they were probably covered by ROME Modules plugins).

I use ROME and have no complaints but I don't think there are any
taglibs (ROME and caching is more DAO level stuff).  Although you
could use ROME to convert all your feeds to a single syndication
format and use the JSTL XML taglibs.

The most recent ROME project activity centres around ROME Propono
which supports the Atom Publishing Protocol.  Incidentally, ROME is
also an important component of the Sun Web Developer Pack.

So there is lots of evidence to suggest that the ROME project is still
alive and well.

HTH

Mark

--
"Paradoxically, the more time saving abstractions you are using the
more you actually have to know." - Simon Willison