Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/24 10:16:41 UTC

[MENTORS] Partial/Patch releases

Dear Mentors,

NetBeans is a big modular project. It has the infrastructure to deliver
patches on module level.

It is quite plausible that as we are going to have more modules
included, we need to release critical bugfixes in form of patch releases
some modules.

Regarding that we are right now voting on the whole source code before
releases, how shall we handle patch releases of a module?

Also the most consumable format of these patches are convenience binary
format nbm modules which is currently backed up by Apache infra for
distribution. That would mean we would overwrite some files in the
release folder.

So my question, how is it possible do partial releases (based on
modules) inside Apache?

Laszlo Kishalmi

AW: [MENTORS] Partial/Patch releases

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey Jan,

sounds like a great idea. I don’t know exactly how it was before at Oracle, but afaik when there are patch updates or smth similar, NetBeans noticed that right from the IDE and I could update it right from the IDE w/o building the whole IDE by the source or whatever. Only to let you know that, that I prefer the same old way as for Oracle, if possible. Yes that means to override existing nbm files. Or yes, Maybe with the update center.

A changelog should be also a must have, that the user see what changed, why was there an update etc.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 4:10 PM Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.invalid>
wrote:

>  +1
> Or is it mostly about a 'full distribution for users'?
> In which case it might probably be possible to just do a svn cp from the
> old version to a patch-version (e.g. netbeans-11rc4.1).svn cp does not cost
> any space. It's merely a reference. Like a symlink on the file system.Then
> just change the one file and be done.
> Is that what you were thinking of?

I guess the idea is that if we need to patch a handful of files in one or a
few modules, it seems wasteful to release the whole IDE (because the
sources are about a 100MB and the convenience binaries even more; and the
reviewers would need to review several tens of thousands of files in the
release, vast majority of which didn't really change).

But, as NetBeans is a modular application, what we can do is to create a
release (source zip) with just the changed modules. Which should be fairly
small, in most cases. And also create convenience binaries and publish
them, so that users that are using convenience binaries can easily upgrade
their IDE (without downloading and installing whole new IDE).

I assume this is overall OK. There is a question where exactly place the
convenience binary, there are several options, including:
-replace the "old" convenience binary with the new one. As a particular
example, say we are producing an update for module java/java.source for
Apache NetBeans 10.0. Can we replace the
"org-netbeans-modules-java-source.nbm" file under the existing:
https://www-eu.apache.org/dist/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0/nbms/java/
-we could create a new directory, say incubating-10.0p1/nbms which would
contain only "org-netbeans-modules-java-source.nbm", an updated
catalog.xml, which would mostly refer to the files from
incubating-10.0/nbms (+.gz of the catalog.xml) (and possibly tasks.jar)
-as Mark is noting, we could svn cp the NBMs from 10.0/nbms to 10.0p1/nbms
(although this feels like it might be more manual work).

Jan

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
 +1
Or is it mostly about a 'full distribution for users'?
In which case it might probably be possible to just do a svn cp from the old version to a patch-version (e.g. netbeans-11rc4.1).svn cp does not cost any space. It's merely a reference. Like a symlink on the file system.Then just change the one file and be done.
Is that what you were thinking of?
LieGrue,strub

 Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.