Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by NetSuporte <ne...@superig.com.br> on 2005/05/03 17:10:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Can this be Done?

First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and running
fresh from an install and thatś it.

My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.

1) Create a home webserver.
2) Host my own website on the home webserver.
3) Have access to my website from the internet via an DSL/ISP connection.

I want to do this without registering a domain.

I am using a router and the computer I want to setup is configured as
the DMZ.
My router is the DHCP server ( I have five computers in my home) , and
my system has an IP address outside the DHCP range so it has a static IP
address.

 Do I need to setup the webhost server as a secondary DNS server to the
ISP DNS server?

I have spent the entire day tryng to figure out how to associate the
server "hostname.xxx.xx" with  the webserver "www.name.domain" and IP
address and how to point to the actual "index.html" for the webpage in
/var/www/mywebsite/index.html.

 From what I read all Apache2 configuration takes place in "httpd.conf".
My configuration does not work properly and I have read so some
information I am confused on exactly where I went wrong.

 At this point I am getting the following when I try to access
"http://www.name.domain/index.html".

  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on this
server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost Port 80

I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the
same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to
extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would
help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I just
seem to have too much information to read through and need to sort it out.

thanks for any help.

Philip
netsuporte@superig.com.br

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by Patrick Donker <li...@webpagina.nu>.
NetSuporte wrote:

> Interesting comment as we "elderly" started this stuff,
> before the Internet or windows I used a 300 baud dial up modem to
> connect to several BBS's
> where I downloaded slackware to a floppy and installed Linux on a 486
> 20MHz 256KB dos system.
>
> Any way moving on creating my own web server/host is a new adventure.
>
> -philip

Haha, indeed, I was one of those BBS addicts as well. However, I am of
'much' younger age; a mere 37 years. Anyway, my comment was just to
mention that people 'of age' usually arent that computer oriented.
Looking at my own dad is a perfect example. He barely knows how to
switch the thing on and do some basic webstuff. It is a *good* thing to
see that 'older' people are still active on this matter as they carry
along a whole load of valuable knowlegde. Maybe not on the subject
discussed here, but from a different point of view additions can be made
in such a way that 'usual' users wouldnt have come up with.

-Patrick

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by NetSuporte <ne...@superig.com.br>.

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Patrick Donker"

> Glad to see that the 'elderly'
> are also amongst us :)

We've been here for many,
many, many years!  :)

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by Patrick Donker <li...@webpagina.nu>.
NetSuporte wrote:

> dan wrote:
>
>> NetSuporte wrote:
>>
>>> First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and
>>> running fresh from an install and thatś it.
>>>
>>> My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.

Hi Dan,

Glad to see that the 'elderly' are also amongst us :)
The best I can advice you is to read the section on Virtual Hosting on
the apache site. There is an example there, that if you insert in into
your httpd.conf, almost always works. Furhtermor, you could try and
register a free domain on dyndns.org, so you dont have to mess around
with ip addresses to access your server. As for the passworded access,
check out the mod_auth_digest section on
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_auth_digest.html
This is also a ready to use example...

Good luck!

-Patrick

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by dan <in...@hostinthebox.net>.
NetSuporte wrote:
> [...]
>>> "http://www.name.domain/index.html".
>>>

>>>   Forbidden
>>>
>>> You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on
>>> this server.
>>>
>>> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
>>> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

>>> Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost
>>> Port 80
>>>

>>> I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the
>>> same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to
>>> extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would
>>> help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I
>>> just seem to have too much information to read through and need to
>>> sort it out.
>>>
>>> thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> Philip
>>> netsuporte@superig.com.br
>>>

>> Philip -
>>
>> In all honesty, the best basic help I've ever gotten was from inside
>> httpd.conf itself.  You still have to use your brain a bit, but for
>> the mostpart it's a step-by-step primer.  Basic rule of thumb is, if
>> you don't understand it, leave it alone - but change what you need
>> to.  If you still want to understand it, take up the directive that
>> you are examining, and reference it to the documentation provided at
>> http://httpd.apache.org.
>

> You are correct, and I am trying to use what brain I have left I am 62
> years old and slowing down a bit these days, but I learn something new
> everyday and more often it is from knowledgeable people like yourself.
>

>> You could go through all the trouble of setting up a simple DNS
>> server, or you could edit the 'hosts' file on each machine and make
>> them "aware" of the hostname resolution (www.name.domain points to,
>> say, 192.168.0.10).  This would be a much simpler
>

> The objective is to allow access from anywhere on the internet, the
> intention is to have the website passworded for entry.
> I guess this is sounding more like VPN server than just a webserver.
>
>> solution.
>>
>> Are you able to hit the server by it's IP, i.e. http://192.168.0.10 or
>> what have you?
>

> I am using this system with no problems it functions as a FTP server and
> a Samba server already.
>
> If I try  http://192.168.1.222:80  ( the actual server IP)
>
> I get the above (Forbidden) message.
>
> What I don't get yet is why when I use this input it changes to the
> /apache2-default/ directory.
> I have tried to change the path to /var/www/mywebsite  no matter what I
> get the same response.
>

>> HTML emails are a bit difficult to read for those who do not have
>> HTML-enabled email clients.  Please do not use HTML email when sending
>> to this list.  It's better that you hear it now, from me, in a polite
>> manner, than really making someone mad later on ;)
>>
> OK sorry for the html I do know better no excuse for that.

Age is just a number.  I bet half the people on this list are < 25 years
old, and they're capable.  We're all capable.  Hell, I'm 21!

Do you have a DocumentRoot specified in your httpd.conf?  This directive
coincides with the first occurance of a Directory Container which is
usually immediately following.  This is effectively all that is requried
to run a simple Apache setup without using Virtual Hosting.

I've found myself before setting a DocumentRoot that the Apache
user/group did not have permission to access, resulting in the client
getting a 401 error.  Here's something like what I've got:

DocumentRoot "/var/www/htdocs"
<Directory />
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory "/var/www/htdocs">
     Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

..where the APache user/group have access to /var/www/htdocs.  You can
even do some testing with a /tmp/somecrap, and chmod it 777, and
restrict permissions more until you find what you're really looking for.
Sometimes taking the long way around makes your discovery even more
important, because along the way, you learn more about how the whole
system works in the first place.  But that's just me ;)

Keep in mind, however, that most ISPs block port 80 for this very
reason.  They don't want just any Joe hosting stuff from their
cablemodem or some such.  For others on the outside to access this site,
they'd need to specify an alternate port or some such.  But you'll get
to that point when you get this hosting speed-bump over with.

Hope that helps
-dant

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by NetSuporte <ne...@superig.com.br>.

Posted by dan <in...@hostinthebox.net>.
NetSuporte wrote:
> First I am new to Apache but not to Linux. I have Apache2 up and running
> fresh from an install and thatś it.
>
> My question(s)  before I start this endevour is the following possible.
>
> 1) Create a home webserver.
> 2) Host my own website on the home webserver.
> 3) Have access to my website from the internet via an DSL/ISP connection.
>
> I want to do this without registering a domain.
>
> I am using a router and the computer I want to setup is configured as
> the DMZ.
> My router is the DHCP server ( I have five computers in my home) , and
> my system has an IP address outside the DHCP range so it has a static IP
> address.
>
>  Do I need to setup the webhost server as a secondary DNS server to the
> ISP DNS server?
>
> I have spent the entire day tryng to figure out how to associate the
> server "hostname.xxx.xx" with  the webserver "www.name.domain" and IP
> address and how to point to the actual "index.html" for the webpage in
> /var/www/mywebsite/index.html.
>
>  From what I read all Apache2 configuration takes place in "httpd.conf".
> My configuration does not work properly and I have read so some
> information I am confused on exactly where I went wrong.
>
>  At this point I am getting the following when I try to access
> "http://www.name.domain/index.html".
>

>   Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /apache2-default/index.html on this
> server.
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
> an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

> Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-13 Server at localhost Port 80
>

> I could use a little basic guidance so far I just get pointed to the
> same documentation I already have been reading but cannot seem to
> extrapolate the correct information. So a cookbook step by step would
> help, but I now it is a pain and will take someones valued time. I just
> seem to have too much information to read through and need to sort it out.
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Philip
> netsuporte@superig.com.br

Philip -

In all honesty, the best basic help I've ever gotten was from inside
httpd.conf itself.  You still have to use your brain a bit, but for the
mostpart it's a step-by-step primer.  Basic rule of thumb is, if you
don't understand it, leave it alone - but change what you need to.  If
you still want to understand it, take up the directive that you are
examining, and reference it to the documentation provided at
http://httpd.apache.org.

You could go through all the trouble of setting up a simple DNS server,
or you could edit the 'hosts' file on each machine and make them "aware"
of the hostname resolution (www.name.domain points to, say,
192.168.0.10).  This would be a much simpler solution.

Posted by Tom Cat <st...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/05, NetSuporte <ne...@superig.com.br> wrote:

> My setup is working between all my local systems but not from outside. I
> like to avoid also configuring a VPN from the remote office.

Sounds like a firewall problem.

I'm on a cable modem and have one of those Linksys router/firewalls.
I had to set it direct http requests on port 80 (and https requests on
port 443) to the specific box.

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by NetSuporte <ne...@superig.com.br>.
Tom,

That is good to hear. What method did you use to access the host from
the internet?

DMZ on the router? vituralhost? DNS server on the host? All three? other?

My setup is working between all my local systems but not from outside. I
like to avoid also configuring a VPN from the remote office.

philip

Posted by Patrick Donker <li...@webpagina.nu>.
NetSuporte wrote:

> Got step one to work!
>
> Now I get the default index.html when I do http://www.quecaixa.com.br
> or http://192.168.1.222
>
> This holds also  true from another linux computer on the same subnet
> (with the webhost directed to the IP in /etc/hosts)
> So step one done.
>
> But you will never believe what i did. I am still sorting out why it
> worked.
>
> I removed the Debian Apache2 install, downloaded and installed Apache2
> myself into  /usr/local/Apache2.
>
> Seems Debian installs into /var/www/apache2_default
>
> Thanks guys a long road ahead but I have faith.
>
> Philip

Yes, I also am not too fond of the Deb Apache2 install. I always compile
it myself because it gives you a clear picture of what you have
installed and how (compil eoptions)

-Patrick

Re: [users@httpd] Can this be Done?

Posted by NetSuporte <ne...@superig.com.br>.