Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by srinir <ur...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/14 17:09:49 UTC

ids request to shard with star query are slow

ids request to shard with star query are slow

I have  a distributed solr environment and I am investigating all the
request where the shard took significant amount of time. One common pattern
i saw was all the ids request with q=*:* and ids=<some id> took around
2-3sec. i picked some shard request q=xyz and ids=<some id> and all of them
took only few milliseconds.

I copied the params and manually sent the same request to that particular
shard and again it took around 2.5 sec. But when i removed the query (q=*:*)
parameter and sent the same set of params to the same shard i got the
response back in 10 or millisecond. in both cases the response had the
document i am looking for.

took 2-3 sec
-------------
q=*:*&
qt=search&
ids=123&
isShard=true

took 20ms
---------
qt=search&
ids=123&
isShard=true

In my understanding ids param is used to get the stored field in a
distributed search. Why does the query parameter (q=) matter here ?

Thanks
Srini