Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Karthick P <pk...@premiertechnologygroup.com> on 2008/10/31 13:57:55 UTC

Help on James

Hi Everyone,

We have been using James in our hosting environment (SLES Linux/James 2.3)
for a while on production. As the overall emails from different systems have
been increased, we have been facing many challenges - delay in email
delivery as shown below in Fig I.

I am not the James administrator but I was asked to get some support and to
gather some information on James mail server, hence posting these queries to
this support group hoping to get some links and pointers.

Can anyone please advice on where exactly we need to start looking into the
setup?

1)       To reduce the email delays significantly (need best practices in
the setup, fine tuning, etc would be of great help)

2)       Efficient way of Error handling and reporting

Kindly revert back if anyone needs more info.

Fig 1

http://hsg.ez-data.com/zabbix/chart2.php?graphid=99&stime=yyyymmddhhmm&perio
d=43200&from=0&width=NaN

Thanks,

Karthick P

RE: Help on James

Posted by Karthick P <pk...@premiertechnologygroup.com>.
<<<Hi Everyone,

We have been using James in our hosting environment (SLES Linux/James 2.3)
for a while on production. As the overall emails from different systems have
been increased, we have been facing many challenges - delay in email
delivery over the period of time as shown below in Figure I.

FIGURE I

Hour

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

Pool by hour

25

19

18

48

318

603

738

471

369

640

782

Pools

25

44

62

110

428

1031

1769

2240

2609

3249

4031

sent by hour

27

20

18

52

260

402

474

587

456

195

170

Sent

27

47

65

117

377

779

1253

1840

2296

2491

2661

Still in queue

-2

-3

-3

-7

51

252

516

400

313

758

1370

  _____

We have been using James in our hosting environment (SLES Linux/James 2.3)
for a while on production. As the overall emails from different systems have
been increased, we have been facing many challenges - delay in email
delivery as shown below in Fig I.

I am not the James administrator but I was asked to get some support and to
gather some information on James mail server, hence posting these queries to
this support group hoping to get some links and pointers.

Can anyone please advice on where exactly we need to start looking into the
setup?

3)       To reduce the email delays significantly (need best practices in
the setup, fine tuning, etc would be of great help)

4)       Efficient way of Error handling and reporting