Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Brandon Sara <br...@collectivemedicaltech.com> on 2021/04/09 17:07:19 UTC

Adding auto-deletion to compact task?

I would love it if we could have an automatic deletion option with the compact task, otherwise, a good amount of work can end up being needed just to ensure that a no longer needed `Data-****` folder is removed. Is this something that the maintainers are willing to consider? If so, I’d be willing to help with the implementation of it.

Thanks.
--

*NOTICES*:

1.  **No PHI in Email**.  Collective Medical policy
prohibits sending protected health information by email, which may violate
applicable law. If sending PHI is necessary, please contact me for secure
delivery instructions.

2.  **Confidentiality**.  This message and any
attachments may be confidential and proprietary. If you received this in
error, please contact me immediately and delete this message.

Re: Adding auto-deletion to compact task?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Brandon,

There are a number of possible steps after a compaction - delete,
archive, compress-archive-delete.

This sounds like a natural thing to have but at the same time I'm a bit
wary of adding features one at a time because a feature is a commitment
to maintain and some other concern may mean a different approach would
have been better. Example: maybe different privileges for compact and
actually deleting data on disk.

With Fuseki/main (it currently does not have the admin functions of
Fuseki/webapp) we do have the scope to revisit administration.

I've opened a discussion JIRA

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-2087

for what a new set of administration features for Fuseki/main might
include. Hope you'll join in.

     Andy

BTW:

Deleting will not work on MS Windows. There is a long standing Java
issue that memory mapped files do not get released until after the JVM
exits.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 12/04/2021 11:07, Rob Vesse wrote:
> Yes such a feature would be a valuable contribution.  It's certainly something that other users have asked for.
>
> Your main issue is probably going to be verifying that there aren't open transactions against the old versions of the data, Andy might have some ideas/pointers to whether the internals of TDB2 allow for determining that?

There won't be any transactions on the old store - when compaction has
finished, the system goes into "exclusive" mode to switch the active
database from old to new.

By the time compaction returns, the old database is no longer used for
anything (except for the Windows thing).

     Andy