Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de> on 2009/01/13 15:28:18 UTC

[T5] improve documentation

Hi all,

Tapestry's current documentation is very complete, covering almost
everything a developer needs to know to be productive with Tapestry.
Unfortunately this documentation is clustered across several locations
thus making it hard to find information and very hard for beginners to
get going. Sometimes even I am annoyed because I don't find the
information I'm looking for at the expected place. There is the official
user guide, which is no guide in the actual sense of the word but merely
a collection of topics using Tapestry-specific vocabulary as the topics,
making it hard for a beginner to get started. Then there is the tutorial
that gets you started with Tapestry but doesn't go deep enough to know
the name of the topic to look for in the user guide when a problem
arises or more information on a subject is needed. Thirdly, there is the
wiki that contains numerous examples on how to solve common use cases
with Tapestry. And lastly there is the component reference that not only
contains documentation for a specific component but also contains
examples on how to use them to solve common use cases. Today for
example, someone on the users mailing list asked for how to have some
kind of a "dynamic component". He wanted to display a certain component
based on the outcome of a function he wrote in his page class. This
question has come up before on the list and because of the "Static
Structure, Dynamic Behavior" paradigm - which is a key principle and is
not mentioned in the documentation but at the bottom of the start page -
the solution is to use the Delegate component with blocks. In the
Delegate component reference documentation there is an example covering
exactly that use case. But it seems that the user wasn't able to find it
- either he didn't look at all or more probably, he looked in the wrong
place. How could he possibly know, that the solution to his use case is
documented in a component named Delegate?
Because I think that the current arrangement of the documentation makes
it hard to grasp the concepts of Tapestry, especially for beginners, and
to quickly find the information one seeks, I propose the following steps
to be taken to improve the documentation:

1. Re-arrange the current documentation to not just be an alphabetically
ordered list of topics but instead to be some kind of guide to Tapestry.
Group topics that belong together, start with basic topics and end with
advanced ones.
2. Print a short description of the purpose of a component next to its
link in the component reference.
3. Integrate the various documents into a coherent documentation that
follows a red line, beginning at the basics and ending with advanced
topics like manipulation of internal services. The tutorial could be
used as a starting point.
4. Extend the Tapestry Cookbook. Move solutions to common use cases from
the wiki (if they meet certain quality criteria) and the component
reference there.

Steps 1 and 2 are easy to realize, steps 3 and 4 need more work.

What do you think? What are your experiences with Tapestrys
documentation? Do you think the proposed steps would lead to an
improvement? What other aspects of the documentation do you think need
improvement and how could they be improved?

Cheers,

Uli

Re: [T5] improve documentation

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I don't think that someone has to be appointed to do it. Everyone can
contribute by writing an improvement, opening an issue in JIRA and
attaching the improvement to it.

As to the book you mentioned, I think the initiative came to a halt
again, shortly after it was started.

Uli

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
I'd be happy to help and contribute.

Uli

Posted by Kevin Monceaux <Ke...@RawFedDogs.net>.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> I have an idea for an application that can demonstrate every bit of
> Tapestry and be useful to boot.

This is great news!!!  As a struggling newbie this is exactly what I've
been looking for.  I will be eagerly awaiting it's development.

Here are a few thoughts from this newbie's perspective, in case they might
help.  If you have an idea for an application that will demonstrate every
bit of Tapestry, I'm sure it will cover everything I'm looking for.  My
apologies ahead of time if any of the following is stating the obvious.

First, I'd personally prefer tutorials that don't assume I'm using an IDE.
I've had trouble following some tutorials because of that.  When I see
IDE, I think of hard drives.  My editor of choice is vim.

If the tutorial builds the example application incrementally, please
include the includes when code is added.  I know they may be obvious to
experienced users.  With the current tutorial when it had me add a bit of
code to an existing class, it sometimes took me quite a while, and a bit
of Googling, to find the includes I needed to add to make the code work.

As I said, I'm sure the example app will cover everything I'm looking for.
At the moment I'm looking for examples of handling relational data.  I
will also be needing examples of handling security at some point.  I've
only looked briefly at some acegi examples.  I know it handles role based
security.  Does it also handle "object owner" based security?  Using a
photo gallery app as an example, I might want to give "admin" users the
ability to add/edit photos to/in all photo albums, and give less powerful
users the ability to only add/edit photos in albums they created.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

Re: [T5] improve documentation

Posted by Otho <ta...@googlemail.com>.
I would prefer a prototypical community application to start the usual
webapp.

So user management, registration with email validation and capchas,
profiles, user groups, fine grained security, optionally simplistic blogs,
forums, pm's  and a bit of content management etc. I tend to copy that stuff
over from older applications everytime, since it is  standard in almost all
webapps. Having an archetype for that would definitely also give Tap5 a
boost in the hobby programmers section.

Sure, this overlaps a bit with appfuse, but appfuse tends to be a bit
bloated for smaller projects by virtue of the generalizations made.

With the community/user base in place it would be possible to go for full
featured community apps and portals or for example to an online shop, stock
monitors or whatever. If it would be possible to make it easily skinnable I
would think it wouldn't take long before "the community" provides with
interesting designs and eyecandy.

But maybe this is all a bit far fetched ;)

Regards,
Otho

Posted by James Hillyerd <yi...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been coming to the same conclusion.
>
> I'm clearing time with my boss to pursue this, along with several
> online articles.
>
> I have an idea for an application that can demonstrate every bit of
> Tapestry and be useful to boot.
>
> So the "guide" is the reference, what I have planned is the "tour".
> It would replace the tutorial.

--
James A. Hillyerd <ja...@hillyerd.com>

Re: RE: [T5] improve documentation

Posted by su...@gmx.de.
Jumpstart would also be a good idea....

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Posted by "Newham, Cameron" <ca...@bl.uk>.
I second this.

Posted by Andy Pahne <an...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> advanced ones.
> 2. Print a short description of the purpose of a component next to its link
> in the component reference.
> 3. Integrate the various documents into a coherent documentation that
> follows a red line, beginning at the basics and ending with advanced topics
> like manipulation of internal services. The tutorial could be used as a
> starting point.
> 4. Extend the Tapestry Cookbook. Move solutions to common use cases from the
> wiki (if they meet certain quality criteria) and the component reference
> there.
>
> Steps 1 and 2 are easy to realize, steps 3 and 4 need more work.
>
> What do you think? What are your experiences with Tapestrys documentation?
> Do you think the proposed steps would lead to an improvement? What other
> aspects of the documentation do you think need improvement and how could

Howard M. Lewis Ship