Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2008/12/04 17:25:35 UTC

Download link on the main page

I think that the main G page ( http://geronimo.apache.org/ ) is
missing a rather large nice looking "Download" button.  I think it
would fit really nicely under the big G logo.

IMO it would be good if this link took you directly to the latest
releases download page, that being here right now:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/apache-geronimo-v213-release.html

And somewhat related the "Java EE 5 Certified" section for downloads
seems a bit crunched up the by text on the right.  I've got a 30"
display and a*reasonable* size browser screen and it still is hard to
read.

I'd like to see that "Apache Geronimo v2.1.3 have passed..." text
below the table, above "Download Sample ..." which should really help:

  * * *

Anyways, its not like its hard to find Downloads, then under Latest
Release -> Apache Geronimo v2.1.3 Release...

Its just that it seems like the *norm* for sites to include that big-
ass overpowering "Download" button on the first page that users see to
take them directly to the page where they get the good stuff.

Also, somewhat related... might confuse some users as to which
distribution they should download... TAR or ZIP?  Jetty or Tomcat...
JavaEE or Little... wtf... which one... okay screw it I'll go look at...

I know a lot of us know how to find what we want... and IMO the site
is tailored to that (short of the icky formatting noted above, I had
to read the thing a few times to find the right dist).  But is the
site really for  you or me?  ie.... non-average joes (and no plumber
comments here please)?  I don't think it is... the main goal besides
providing a consistent navigable informative experience is to make it
fricken simple for anyone to quickly grab a copy of G and play with it.

IMO the site right now doesn't do that... but I'd like to see it.  Say
I'm a virgin user, heard about this cool free G-thing... so I go hit
the website.  I really don't care about *anything* short of how do I
download the *right* version, install it and start to play with it, so
I can then go to my boss and say hey look at this cool stuff we can use.

  * * *

Basically, if we can make a Download button on the main page, which
takes the user to an uber simple page with the link to the dist they
want, it could help a lot.  That page should have a link to the
suggested download, and then a page to the current release page in
case they want more options.

Can't decide if its jetty or tomcat?  Well make it random them, cause
they both work the same... but IMO the added option just confuses
people.  After they understand more by playing with it they will get
that the web stuff is pluggable or they won't care and keep using
whatever we suggested (randomly) for them.

  * * *

Confluence driven site does present some issues here, but we can
create a custom usermacro to handle so Its definitely possible.

Okay... me shuts up now... hope y'all didn't tune out... I think this
is important, even though my ranting style might be hard for some to
grok.

:-\

--jason

Re: Download link on the main page

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I've updated the site to show this better, cause the image I posted is
only on the confluence site (missing the skin):

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/apache-geronimo-v213-release.html

Its defs more readable...

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Based on the current site, I'd suggest a nice big fancy rounded/
shadowed "Download"  button under the G logo, in say green (make it
stand out but not ugly).  The box would work, but we''d have to
replace the G logo, as the combination would be unaesthetic... er ugly.

I don't quite understand to the "Tooling" and "Docs" comment from
looking that the link... but I do like the directory projects "green"
for our "Download" link ;-)

But I think we are on the same page... make the site much, much, much
easier for casual folks to actually find the bits they are interested
in and download them, while still providing the indepth information
that you and I expect to find on a project webpage.

--jason

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.