Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org> on 2013/09/19 03:31:14 UTC

[VOTE]: Release Apache Sentry 1.2.0 incubating (rc0)

This vote is being concurrently called on dev@sentry.incubator.apache.organd
general@incubator.apache.org.

This is the first incubator release of Apache Sentry, version
1.2.0-incubating.

It fixes the following issues: goo.gl/Bx5D1x

Source files : http://people.apache.org/~shreepadma/sentry-1.2.0/

Tag to be voted on (rc0):
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-sentry/repo?p=incubator-sentry.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/release-1.2.0-rc0

Sentry's KEYS containing the PGP key we used to sign the release:
https://people.apache.org/keys/group/sentry.asc

Note that this is a source only release and we are voting on the source
(tag).

Vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Thanks.

Shreepadma

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Sentry 1.2.0 incubating (rc0)

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
[ ] +1 approve

Steps executed:

* Verified signature
* Verified checksums
* Verified top level files (CHANGELOG.txt,LICENSE.txt,NOTICE.txt)
* Run tests

Jarcec

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.
KEYS have been copied over to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/sentry/

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
+1

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Shreepadma Venugopalan <

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.
Andrei,

Please see my responses inline.

Thanks.
Shreepadma

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been able to build and test the project using the instruction from
> README.md. It would be useful to have a basic website or some instructions
> on the wiki on how to deploy Sentry.

We are working on building a website. We'll move the documents on how to
deploy and use Sentry to the wiki in the meantime.

> I see that sentry-binding-hive still use org.apache.access as package name
> (HiveAuthzBindingSessionHook.java). Is this intended?

Yes, but we are planning to remove the access references. Please see
this<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-21>
.

> Everything else looks good to me: GPG signature, hashes, DISCLAIMER &
> NOTICE files, license headers.
>
> Are there any plans to provide binaries for convenience or to push the jar
> files to repository.apache.org / Maven Central?

If there's enough interest, we'll publish binary artifacts.

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.
Andrei,

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
+1, sig/xsum are valid, tag matches artifact, RAT ran clean, I ran
through the release checklist and didn't notice any issues. Incubator
status page is up to date.

General feedback:

* you should call the vote first on the dev list, once the community
+1's it then go to general@
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-incubator-release-vote

* if you want to use a shortener prefer apache's http://s.apache.org/

Patrick

Posted by Andrei Savu <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
+1

* Verified signatures
* Verified top-level files
* Ran the full build and tests successfully
* Tag matches the distribution

Regards,
Arvind Prabhakar

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1, verified signature, build works fine

Minor observations
1. Sentry has Readme.md file, Would be easy if README or README.txt is
provided

2. sentry-1.2.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha<http://people.apache.org/~shreepadma/sentry-1.2.0/sentry-1.2.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha>
should
be sentry-1.2.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha<http://people.apache.org/~shreepadma/sentry-1.2.0/sentry-1.2.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha>1?
Think signature is sha1

3. Why do we need to use -Pdownload-hadoop option? A lot of project like
Crunch use Hadoop but don't ask for options. This download increases the
execution time a lot. The test take around an hour to run for me

4. Would be good to add source or src in release name like
sentry-1.2.0-incubating-source.tar.gz<http://people.apache.org/~shreepadma/sentry-1.2.0/sentry-1.2.0-incubating.tar.gz.sha>
so
that it makes it easy to identify that it's a source release.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Shreepadma Venugopalan <

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog