Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ryan Sorensen <ry...@bizquest.com> on 2005/05/20 19:42:21 UTC

Include destination email address in defanged report

Is it possible to include the destination email address in the defanged
spam report? I see a list of variables here
(http://spamassassin.taint.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html) but it
doesn't seem to include this variable (maybe for privacy reasons?).

The reason is related to our "OT Dealing with AOL TOS" thread a few days
ago. Users are reporting filtered, defanged messages as spam and I would
like to cancel their forwarding but AOL strips out the TO: address.

Thanks,

Ryan

This is the report I am talking about:
Spam detection software has identified this incoming email as possible
spam. The original message has been attached so you can view it (if it
isn't spam).

  pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
  0.8 RCVD_BY_IP             Received by mail server with no name
  2.2 RCVD_HELO_IP_MISMATCH  Received: HELO and IP do not match, but should
  1.5 RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO      Received: contains an IP address used for HELO
<snip>

Re: Include destination email address in defanged report

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Matt Kettler" <mk...@evi-inc.com>

> Ryan Sorensen wrote:
> > Is it possible to include the destination email address in the defanged
> > spam report? I see a list of variables here
> > (http://spamassassin.taint.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html) but it
> > doesn't seem to include this variable (maybe for privacy reasons?).
>
> It doesn't because it's impossible.
>
> SA has no access to the message envelope, thus it doesn't know the
destination
> address. It can guess based on other bits of the headers, but that assumes
the
> To: header, or a Received: header gives it away.

On another paw - if you are using procmail and spamc -u it should be
possible to use the procmail user name variable to tag the mail with
formail. It isn't elegant, perhaps. But I do believe it would work.

{^_^}

Re: Include destination email address in defanged report

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

To: header, or a Received: header gives it away.