Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Oliver Leach <Ol...@tatacommunications.com> on 2013/01/21 09:53:43 UTC

Cloudstack puppet manifest

Hi,

I am looking in to getting puppet to deploy Cloudstack via a puppet module. I am trying to configure a yum repo that has the Cloudstack RPMs so I can ensure the 'cloud-client' package is installed. I am looking at this for guidance https://github.com/CloudStack-extras/puppet-cloudstack/blob/master/manifests/init.pp, however need help in configuring a the repo as - this is an example.

baseurl = "http://yumrepo/repositories/rhel/$operatingsystemrelease/stable/oss/"
name = "CloudStack"
enable = 1
gpgcheck = 0

At the moment, I am trying to set up a repo that will install Cloudstack 3.0.2 and notice the install.sh script for Cloudstack sets up a cloud-temp.repo and specifies a local file location (pathtorepo=`pwd`) for the Cloudstack RPMs like so

baseurl=file://$pathtorepo
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
name=CloudStack temporary repository

Has anyone done this before or got any suggestions on how to set up a repo to install Cloudstack?
Thanks,
Oliver Leach

Re: Cloudstack puppet manifest

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 02:23:43PM +0530, Oliver Leach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking in to getting puppet to deploy Cloudstack via a puppet
> module. I am trying to configure a yum repo that has the Cloudstack
> RPMs so I can ensure the 'cloud-client' package is installed. I am
> looking at this for guidance
> https://github.com/CloudStack-extras/puppet-cloudstack/blob/master/manifests/init.pp,
> however need help in configuring a the repo as - this is an example.
>
> baseurl = "http://yumrepo/repositories/rhel/$operatingsystemrelease/stable/oss/"
> name = "CloudStack"
> enable = 1
> gpgcheck = 0
>
> At the moment, I am trying to set up a repo that will install
> Cloudstack 3.0.2 and notice the install.sh script for Cloudstack
> sets up a cloud-temp.repo and specifies a local file location
> (pathtorepo=`pwd`) for the Cloudstack RPMs like so
>
> baseurl=file://$pathtorepo
> gpgcheck=0
> enabled=1
> name=CloudStack temporary repository
>
> Has anyone done this before or got any suggestions on how to set up
> a repo to install Cloudstack?

It looks like the example in puppet-cloudstack might be overriding the
install.sh script behaviour. It's just deploying from RPMs placed on
the yumrepo. So you might want to do the same and point your puppet
recipe to the repo. With 4.0 onwards the install.sh script has been
retired and yum repos are the natural way to go.

On RHEL systems - createrepo can manage the xml-rpm-metadata creation
that yum will need. If that's not an option you'll have to Exec[] the
install.sh script in your recipe.

--
Prasanna.,

Re: Cloudstack puppet manifest

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Oliver Leach
<Ol...@tatacommunications.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking in to getting puppet to deploy Cloudstack via a puppet module. I am trying to configure a yum repo that has the Cloudstack RPMs so I can ensure the 'cloud-client' package is installed. I am looking at this for guidance https://github.com/CloudStack-extras/puppet-cloudstack/blob/master/manifests/init.pp, however need help in configuring a the repo as - this is an example.

So not to deride my own first attempt - but that puppet manifest is
woefully out of date and poorly written.

Take a look at:
https://github.com/ke4qqq/puppet-cloudstack

It's much better, and far more readable IMO.

Prasanna also has some stuff that he has for deploying CloudStack with
puppet for CI and it works pretty consistently - take a look at his
github account:
https://github.com/vogxn

--David