Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert La Ferla <ro...@o-ms.com> on 2008/05/08 18:55:29 UTC

svnserve on Solaris 10

A question and a problem...

Question: I have a Solaris 10 system that I installed svn 1.4.5 on.
Users (using TortoiseSVN on Windows) can access the subversion
repository using svn+ssh:  but I don't know how this is possible when I
didn't configure svnserve.  When they access svn, I can see a svnserve
-t process running under their username.  However, I don't see a SMF or
inetd.conf entry for it nor do I see anything in the sshd configuration
files.  How is that possible?  Is the client asking the server to run
svnserve?

Problem: I want to also enable the "svn" protocol because (1) I want to
use a JIRA plug-in that currently doesn't support svn+ssh and (2) svn
should be somewhat faster on our LAN than svn+ssh.  I know that Solaris
10 now uses SMF.  I tried to install a subversion xml config from a blog
but that didn't quite work.  I then created an inetd.conf entry and then
converted it using inetconv.  That appears to be running but doesn't
seem to work.  The TortoiseSVN client reports "Error * Connection closed
unexpectedly"  Ideas??

.

Re: svnserve on Solaris 10

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Robert La Ferla <ro...@o-ms.com> wrote:
> A question and a problem...
>
>  Question: I have a Solaris 10 system that I installed svn 1.4.5 on.  Users
> (using TortoiseSVN on Windows) can access the subversion repository using
> svn+ssh:  but I don't know how this is possible when I didn't configure
> svnserve.  When they access svn, I can see a svnserve -t process running
> under their username.  However, I don't see a SMF or inetd.conf entry for it
> nor do I see anything in the sshd configuration files.  How is that
> possible?  Is the client asking the server to run svnserve?

Yes. When you use svn+ssh, what happens is that the SSH connection is
created, and then svnserve is invoked on the server through that
connection. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html#svn.serverconfig.svnserve.sshauth

>  Problem: I want to also enable the "svn" protocol because (1) I want to use
> a JIRA plug-in that currently doesn't support svn+ssh and (2) svn should be
> somewhat faster on our LAN than svn+ssh

If you enable compression in SSH, svn+ssh may end up being faster than
svn. That's just a guess though.