Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ola Ogunneye <OO...@adventisthealthcare.com> on 2004/01/19 15:10:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Versions...

Hello all,

Can someone please tell me why if version 2.0.48 is the latest stable
version of Apache, is 1.3.29 available?

Is 1.3.29 recommended for certain people or why are they both in
existence.

Thank you all

Ola

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Versions...

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Ola Ogunneye wrote:
> Can someone please tell me why if version 2.0.48 is the latest stable
> version of Apache, is 1.3.29 available?

Apache 1.3 and 2.0 are different branches and live their own lifes, and are
not API compatible. Apache 1.3 is more stable (because no new features are
added to it) and has more modules available for it, why it is prefered by
some.

> Is 1.3.29 recommended for certain people or why are they both in
> existence.

I would only recommend Apache 1.3 for people that needs modules not yet
available for 2.0. Some would also argue that PHP doesn't play too well with
Apache 2.0, but I am yet to see that for myself.

Migrating to 1.3 -> 2.0 is not painless, and in some cases not possible.
Since so many still use Apache 1.3 it is still maintained.

Regards,
Robert Andersson