Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Florin Daneliuc <fl...@iquestint.com> on 2009/06/22 17:38:35 UTC

Using log4net to write to remote windows event log

Hello,

I'm using log4net to log/trace an application and I would like to have cert= ain errors ending up in the the event log from another computer. Is there a way to do this? (RemoteSyslogAppender?)

It seems that I could do around the tree and use a ForwardingAppender which together with a application acting as server on the remote computer would could write this to the event log, but it looks a little to cumbersome.

PS I was able to change log4net to write to a remote eventlog, but I would prefer to use an "untainted" library.

Thanks,
florin

RE: Using log4net to write to remote windows event log

Posted by Karim Bourouba <ka...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry, I think you may have missed my point. The event log in Windows is specific to the installation only. To me, recording things that have taken place on an a different machine in a remote systems event log doesnt look like good design.

Given that you have a lot of different systems you want to log with different logging criteria, wouldnt logging to a data base be a more prudent move?

The ability to view remote logs isnt new with Windows 2008, its been around for a while now. Bear in mind that this isnt the event log, its called the event collector and is a seperate service. You need to decide which will be better for you - if you want to rely on this (i.e. you have a tool that needs the Event Log) then you are going to have to look into this, however if you want a flexible logging system, then you may want to spend more time with log4net.

From: florin.daneliuc@iquestint.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:57:31 +0300
Subject: RE: Using log4net to write to remote windows event log

Thanks Karim.

In my case I have a number of systems distributed on different computers in a test environment and I would like certain errors (that would cause my application to stop) to also go into a central event log in order to be able to only inspect one event log. Emailing in my case is not something that I would use.

The fact that Event Log is a windows technology it not an issue, this application is windows only, log4net supports Event Log, even if not at it's full capabilities. In order to make the Event Log appender be able to write to a remote Event Log you only need about 5 lines of code changed. But of course, I'm not sure about the performance penalty and I don't know why this capability was "postponed" in the appender (this might clarify this).

Also there is a appender that is able to write to remote sinks, RemoteSyslogAppender, which is mostly Linux only, so using a remote sink is not something new. Windows 2008 seems to have the ability to collect logs from other computers, so somehow they have thought about something like this.

florin

Posted by Florin Daneliuc <fl...@iquestint.com>.
Thanks Karim.

________________________________

________________________________
View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place - Learn more!<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/137984870/direct/01/>

RE: Using log4net to write to remote windows event log

Posted by Karim Bourouba <ka...@hotmail.com>.
This isnt something I have ever needed to use log4net for, but there are two possibilities for you: RemotingAppender and UDPAppender. Both of these appenders appear to be able to deliver messages to remote apps, at least this is what the log4net page on config examples suggest: http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/config-examples.html

There is also a SMTPAppender that could also help you out.

However, I dont think there is anything ready made for you that will enter these events onto another systems event log. If this is a Windows environment, then it isnt a great idea anyway. If you think about it a bit, the event log is used for the system upon which the OS and other applications are running. To me, it makes very little sense to log events from other systems here.

Have you considered simply using the ADONetAppender to log events to a database somewhere? This, to me at least, would be a better way of logging events - but then again I dont really know what it is you are trying to do.

> From: florin.daneliuc@iquestint.com
> To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:38:35 +0300
> Subject: Using log4net to write to remote windows event log
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm using log4net to log/trace an application and I would like to have cert= ain errors ending up in the the event log from another computer. Is there a way to do this? (RemoteSyslogAppender?)
>
> It seems that I could do around the tree and use a ForwardingAppender which together with a application acting as server on the remote computer would could write this to the event log, but it looks a little to cumbersome.
>
> PS I was able to change log4net to write to a remote eventlog, but I would prefer to use an "untainted" library.
>
> Thanks,
> florin

Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/