Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/26 10:12:00 UTC

OSGi features on Admin Console

Hi all,

With the progress of OSGi implementation for G3.0, I think we can start
thinking about which features we will provide to users via Admin Console.
IMHO, there would be 2 options to present the new features:
   1.  Use an independent section for OSGi part and keep Java EE parts as
is.
   2.  Integrate OSGi features into existing portlets

If we choose option 1, I can think of following new portlets to be appended
to the navigation item(might be more, you are welcome to append the list):
     1.a.  OSGi  Framework information;
     1.b.  Bundle management, which is only used to install/uninstall
bundles;
     1.c.  Blueprint management, which Rex and Delos are working on, but
resides in Debug Views section temporarily.
     1.c.  OBR management, which is used to Add/Browse repositories and
install bundles from repos.

Other than the portlets above, there are 2 more features: User Admin and Log
Service, which can be integrated with existing portlets like Security&Log
viewers.

I can see a lot of overlaps between Java EE and OSGi related portlets, it
would be nice to have them consolidated as one, for example;
        Bundle management   v.s  Deploy New
        OBR management    v.s   Install Plugins from repositories
       OSGi Framework info  v.s  Java System Info

But thinking of the resource available, I'd like to suggest we choose option
1 for G3.0 console.

Any comments?

Jeff C

Re: OSGi features on Admin Console

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Geronimo is aimed to implement a Java Enterprise Application server
which comply Java EE spec. But in G 3.0, we not only modifid our kernel to
base on OSGi framework, but also we extends the programming model to OSGi
Enterprise area, such as WAB, Aries applications. These bundles might
require some other normal bundles to be installed in the osgi framework, so
to keep the completeness of a web console, we need integrate the function to
help install a bundle in portlet, although this might be the real work items
for karaf/felix... You know, it' should be a little unacceptable that when
we need delpoy a WAB application in web console, the prerequisite is that he
have to firstly use osgi shell to install a required bundle.. So I agree
with #1.

-Rex

2010/1/26 Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> people who'd use Geronimo as a JEE application server (the vast majority,
> as
> I see it) might not want to be bothered by OSGI dialogues.
> So, I'd vote for
> 3. hide all OSGI features from the console until the user explicitely wants
> to see them by
> [x] show OSGI features
>
> Juergen
>

> RunHua Chi wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > With the progress of OSGi implementation for G3.0, I think we can start
> > thinking about which features we will provide to users via Admin Console.
> > IMHO, there would be 2 options to present the new features:
> >    1.  Use an independent section for OSGi part and keep Java EE parts as
> > is.
> >    2.  Integrate OSGi features into existing portlets
> >
> > If we choose option 1, I can think of following new portlets to be
> > appended
> > to the navigation item(might be more, you are welcome to append the
> list):
> >      1.a.  OSGi  Framework information;
> >      1.b.  Bundle management, which is only used to install/uninstall
> > bundles;
> >      1.c.  Blueprint management, which Rex and Delos are working on, but
> > resides in Debug Views section temporarily.
> >      1.c.  OBR management, which is used to Add/Browse repositories and
> > install bundles from repos.
> >
> > Other than the portlets above, there are 2 more features: User Admin and
> > Log
> > Service, which can be integrated with existing portlets like Security&Log
> > viewers.
> >
> > I can see a lot of overlaps between Java EE and OSGi related portlets, it
> > would be nice to have them consolidated as one, for example;
> >         Bundle management   v.s  Deploy New
> >         OBR management    v.s   Install Plugins from repositories
> >        OSGi Framework info  v.s  Java System Info
> >
> > But thinking of the resource available, I'd like to suggest we choose
> > option
> > 1 for G3.0 console.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >

> > Jeff C

Lei Wang (Rex)
rwonly AT apache.org

Re: OSGi features on Admin Console

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
If there is no objection, I'd like to file a JIRA to track the request today
or tomorrow.

Jeff C

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your comments.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
I agree Option 1 is fine. And it won't bother too much if it's just one node
added to the existing tree (now that we have the expand/collapse feature in
the navigation tree).

However, we can still consider to add OSGi-related support in other existing
portlets. For example, the deploy new portlet can be enabled to accept
OSGi-based app deployment.

-Jack

Posted by Delos <da...@gmail.com>.
Since G 3.0 adopts OSGI framework, it's reasonable for user to know the
bundle information if need.  But for some users, they still want to only get
the JEE module information, instead of OSGI bundle information.

So I prefer "  1.  Use an independent section for OSGi part and keep Java EE
parts as is." and make the OSGI part selectable by user.

Maybe we can have different perspectives in admin console. One is for only
Java EE parts, the other one is only for OSGI parts.

2010/1/26 Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> people who'd use Geronimo as a JEE application server (the vast majority,
> as
> I see it) might not want to be bothered by OSGI dialogues.
> So, I'd vote for
> 3. hide all OSGI features from the console until the user explicitely wants
> to see them by
> [x] show OSGI features
>
> Juergen
>

> RunHua Chi wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > With the progress of OSGi implementation for G3.0, I think we can start
> > thinking about which features we will provide to users via Admin Console.
> > IMHO, there would be 2 options to present the new features:
> >    1.  Use an independent section for OSGi part and keep Java EE parts as
> > is.
> >    2.  Integrate OSGi features into existing portlets
> >
> > If we choose option 1, I can think of following new portlets to be
> > appended
> > to the navigation item(might be more, you are welcome to append the
> list):
> >      1.a.  OSGi  Framework information;
> >      1.b.  Bundle management, which is only used to install/uninstall
> > bundles;
> >      1.c.  Blueprint management, which Rex and Delos are working on, but
> > resides in Debug Views section temporarily.
> >      1.c.  OBR management, which is used to Add/Browse repositories and
> > install bundles from repos.
> >
> > Other than the portlets above, there are 2 more features: User Admin and
> > Log
> > Service, which can be integrated with existing portlets like Security&Log
> > viewers.
> >
> > I can see a lot of overlaps between Java EE and OSGi related portlets, it
> > would be nice to have them consolidated as one, for example;
> >         Bundle management   v.s  Deploy New
> >         OBR management    v.s   Install Plugins from repositories
> >        OSGi Framework info  v.s  Java System Info
> >
> > But thinking of the resource available, I'd like to suggest we choose
> > option
> > 1 for G3.0 console.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >

> > Jeff C