Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Taco Fleur <ta...@nella.net.au> on 2004/01/25 22:27:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Stop Apache from reporting version number anywhere..

How can I stop Apache from returning the version number anywhere?
For example on error messages etc.

Taco Fleur
Blog  <http://www.tacofleur.com/index/blog/>
http://www.tacofleur.com/index/blog/
Methodology http://www.tacofleur.com/index/methodology/
0421 851 786
Tell me and I will forget
Show me and I will remember
Teach me and I will learn

RE: [users@httpd] Stop Apache from reporting version number anywhere..

Posted by Taco Fleur <ta...@nella.net.au>.
What are other peoples thoughts on this?

I personally reckon, that those who use automated tools are script kiddies,
i.e. not real crackers - I believe real Crackers will want to stay under the
radar and therefore perform aimed attacks instead of flooding the server
with requests that might disclose a security hole. For those aimed and
controlled attacks they first require as much info about you as possible.

But as you say I also see the flipside to it, and when not returning any of
this info people get curious, but still, I reckon only curious enough if
they know what they can expect on the other-side, i.e. a bank.

My 2cents

Posted by Dan Trainor <da...@cavecreek.net>.

Posted by Taco Fleur <ta...@nella.net.au>.

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.

Posted by Taco Fleur <ta...@nella.net.au>.

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
Taco Fleur wrote:

> > You can do this with the 'ServerTokens' parameter (not
> > 'ServerSignature', BTW, which doesn't affect the 'Server'
> > header and other locations where it's printed.)
>
> It worked, I set the ServerSignature to off and the software version and
> webserver type did not appear on the 404 pages anymore.

It's still being sent with every single request in the 'Server' header.

> > But, if you think that by doing this you're increasing
> > security you're just wasting your time.
>
> Why is that do you reckon?

Because hiding your version number doesn't do anything to patch security
holes.  You are 100% as vulnerable to whatever vulnerabilities you may
have regardless of what version number your server advertises.  It's not
going to stop you from being hacked, if that's what you were thinking.
An analogy would be placing a post-it note on your front door that says
"There is no big-screen TV inside." when any burglar can see plainly in
your front window that in fact there is a large big-screen TV sitting
right there in the living room.

> And what exactly does the ServerTokens do?

The Apache documentation team doesn't write manuals just for the heck of
it you know.  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#servertokens

Brian

RE: [users@httpd] Stop Apache from reporting version number anywhere..

Posted by Taco Fleur <ta...@nella.net.au>.