Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de> on 2012/01/11 16:28:24 UTC

Error 126

Hi all,

On Windows7 my build breaks frequently with an error 126.  This happens
apparently randomly, not tied to a specific module or file.  Restarting
the build in the module where it broke works fine.

At the moment I suspect the virus scanner (different ones on different
computers) to cause this.

Does anybody *know* the reason for the build breaks?

Regards,
Andre

Re: Error 126

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Hi,

On 11.01.2012 22:52, TJ Frazier wrote:
> Hi, Andre,
>
> On 1/11/2012 16:19, Facundo Cevey wrote:
>> HI!
>> Error 126 is usually displayed at run time when some of the DLLs on your
>> system are missing. The message with the error code 126 may also be
>> displayed when an application is trying to connect to a database and a
>> required DLL is not specified in your machine’s PATH.
>> many databases require that you install and configure a client side
>> library
>> to enable any client to connect. Some of the databases that require a
>> client side library are WinSQL Oracle Driver, Oracle ODBC Driver, and
>> Microsoft Oracle Driver.
>>
>> *reinstall the application or update it.*
>
> A simple case of this kind of 126 error would be permanent, but this one
> is transient. However . . . are you running parallel builds (-Pn or
> whatever)? Maybe some library isn't built / moved / installed yet, when
> another fork needs it. --/tj/

No, it happens regardless of the number of build processes.

Re: Error 126

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
Hi, Andre,

Re: Error 126

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 12.01.2012 10:35, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> It certainly has nothing to do with missing DLLs. It's most likely
> some Cygwin bug that happens randomly (due to race conditions or
> whatever). I think it happens only (?) on 64-bit systems, but I am not
> sure. We haven't really found any good solution in LibreOffice either,
> except to semi-automatically retry commands if they seem to fail with
> this bogus error.

Thanks for the information, although I would have hoped for better news.
  I have been myself working on a wrapper for the build command that
automatically restarts a build when it breaks with this error.
Doing this inside the build system is an interesting idea.

Re: Error 126

Re: Error 126

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
Hi,

On 11.01.2012 22:19, Facundo Cevey wrote:
> HI!
> Error 126 is usually displayed at run time when some of the DLLs on your
> system are missing. The message with the error code 126 may also be
> displayed when an application is trying to connect to a database and a
> required DLL is not specified in your machine’s PATH.
> many databases require that you install and configure a client side library
> to enable any client to connect. Some of the databases that require a
> client side library are WinSQL Oracle Driver, Oracle ODBC Driver, and
> Microsoft Oracle Driver.
>
> *reinstall the application or update it.*

My build breaks happen randomly but mostly the compilation of a file is
involved.

As I understand it, error 126 describes some form of access problem.
That lead me to suspecting the virus scanner.  Possible scenario:

1. Compiler starts to compile a file and tries to open it.
2. Virus scanner cuts in and scans the file.
3. Compiler has to wait too long, gets bored and signals error.

The problem is, the last line does not sound very convincing to me.

Re: Error 126

Posted by Facundo Cevey <fc...@gmail.com>.
HI!