Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by munger <ma...@sungard.com> on 2010/06/02 16:58:34 UTC

How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

I am using ActiveMQ 5.3.2 embedded into my Spring based application. My goal
is to configure ActiveMQ in order to be able to commnicate with it in HTTPS
(requests and responses encapsulated in HTTPS).
The SSL part is done: i have a client test application connection with SSL
to activemq, and the communication is OK with certs on both sides.
When adding the HTTPS connector to activemq configuration, and trying with
my client app to connect using https://localhost:myport, it doesn't work and
i get the following error:

handling exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message,
plaintext connection?

What could make my HTTPS connnection fails, although the SSL comuncation
seems ok ?

Thanks a lot if you have any clue, that's a very important bug for me right
now. Thanks a lot for any help.

Max

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
Thanks a lot Dejan for your answer, here is what i am experiencing:

My Embedded ActiveMQ is configured with SSL enabled and https activated
also:

<sslContext>
            <sslContext
            	keyStore="file:${activemq.base}/conf/certs/broker.ks"
              	keyStorePassword="password"
              	trustStore="file:${activemq.base}/conf/certs/client.ts"
              	trustStorePassword="password"/>
        </sslContext>

        <transportConnectors>
            <transportConnector name="openwire"
uri="tcp://localhost:61616"/>
            <transportConnector name="ssl" uri="ssl://localhost:61617"/>
            <transportConnector name="https" uri="https://localhost:8443"/>
        </transportConnectors>

I use another application to test the connection, a "tester" which creates
the JMS producer and a consumer, using the following Spring configuration:

<beans:bean id="jmsProducerFactory"
class="org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory"
destroy-method="stop">
	  <beans:property name="connectionFactory">
	      <beans:bean class="org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory">
	            <beans:property name="brokerURL">

<beans:value>${jms.producer.connection.url}</beans:value>
	            </beans:property>
    	</beans:bean>
  		</beans:property>
	</beans:bean>

	<beans:bean id="jmsProducerTemplate"
class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
  	<beans:property name="connectionFactory">
	    <beans:ref local="jmsProducerFactory"/>
   	</beans:property>
	</beans:bean>

	<!-- Définition d'une queue permettant d'échanger les message JMS -->
	<beans:bean id="destination"
class="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQQueue">
  	<beans:constructor-arg index="0">
	    <beans:value>SCB_INCOMMING_MESSAGES</beans:value>
   	</beans:constructor-arg>
	</beans:bean>

	<beans:bean id="feedbackQueue"
class="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQQueue">
  	<beans:constructor-arg index="0">
	    <beans:value>SELECTOR_REPLIES</beans:value>
   	</beans:constructor-arg>
	</beans:bean>

	<beans:bean id="listenerSample"
class="com.sungard.application.test.jms.ListenerSample "/>
	<beans:bean id="listenerContainer"
class="org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer">
  	<beans:property name="concurrentConsumers" value="3"/>
  	<beans:property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsProducerFactory" />
  	<beans:property name="destination" ref="feedbackQueue" />
  	<beans:property name="messageListener" ref="listenerSample" />
	</beans:bean>

	<beans:bean id="springProducer"
class="com.sungard.application.test.jms.ProducerSample">
  	<beans:property name="jmsTemplate" ref="jmsProducerTemplate"/>
  	<beans:property name="destination" ref="destination"/>
	</beans:bean>

When ${jms.producer.connection.url} is set to "ssl://localhost:61617", i can
both create and receive messages from my app, it works well. But as soon as
i change it to https://localhost:8443, i get the following error:

trigger seeding of SecureRandom
done seeding SecureRandom
main, setSoTimeout(0) called
main, setSoTimeout(0) called
%% No cached client session
*** ClientHello, TLSv1
RandomCookie:  GMT: 1275549380 bytes = { 156, 57, 181, 210, 55, 90, 77, 224,
159, 212, 146, 36, 179, 78, 176, 209, 226, 129, 207, 21, 233, 197, 217, 171,
86, 87, 213, 234 }
Session ID:  {}
Cipher Suites: [SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5, SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,
TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,
SSL_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA,
SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA, SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5,
SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA,
SSL_DHE_DSS_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA]
Compression Methods:  { 0 }
***
main, WRITE: TLSv1 Handshake, length = 73
main, WRITE: SSLv2 client hello message, length = 98
main, handling exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL
message, plaintext connection?
main, SEND TLSv1 ALERT:  fatal, description = unexpected_message
main, WRITE: TLSv1 Alert, length = 2
main, called closeSocket()
main, called close()
main, called closeInternal(true)
main, called close()
main, called closeInternal(true)
main, called close()
main, called closeInternal(true)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi,

can you raise an enhancement request in Jira to add support for https
transport and <sslContext> configuration?

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by gsm2a <gs...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Glad that's sorted!

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
I feel like it seems an activemq bug, as the https transportConnector creates
a plain text socket and not a ssl socket type.
Where can i report this bug please ?

thanks

-----
---
www.maxizone.fr
www.maxiblog.fr

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
I confirm the problem is that HTTPS connector is not using SSL but plain
text, to prove it, i try to connect my client like this:

jms.producer.connection.url = http://localhost:8443

where 8443 is the port defined for https connector of activemq.xml
configuration file. So this connector doesn't know how to speak SSL for the
moment.

-----
---
www.maxizone.fr
www.maxiblog.fr

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
That's very nice to you, thanks a lot Dejan!
:)

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi,

I'll try to run your example (sent the other day) these days and see if I
can locate the problem.

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi,

https transport should work fine, but you're right it doesn't support
<sslContext> configuration.

Take a look at

http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/activemq/trunk/activemq-optional/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/transport/https

<http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/activemq/trunk/activemq-optional/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/transport/https>for
some https transport tests as a starter.

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
Hi all,

My activeMQ is configured with:

<transportConnector name="https" uri="https://localhost:443"
enableStatusMonitor="true"/>

and i added the ssl connector to my jetty (the one embedded into
activemq-all-5.3.2), like this:

<bean id="sslConnector"
class="org.mortbay.jetty.security.SslSocketConnector">
          <property name="port" value="443"/>
          <property name="keystore" value="./conf/certs/broker.ks"/>
          <property name="password" value="q5qpTEBb"/>
          <property name="keyPassword" value="q5qpTEBb"/>
        </bean>

At startup, it complains because the port 443 is already used by activemq
for its https connector... that's right, but i have to activate Jetty as an
SSL server, no ?

I do not understand what is doing exactely the HTTPS declaration in the
activemq.xml file...
Do i need to declare the sslConnector for Jetty, and connect it, or is the
https connector dclaration of activemq is enough ?

thanks a lot!

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
Any other idea ?

>From what i understand, my server is speaking HTTPS but not SSL and my
client doesn't understand the server because he doesn't speak SSL, is that
right ?

Any other way to make sure my HTTPS connector in activemq speaks SSL ?

Thanks a lot!!

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
Finally it doesn't work better, i added this on the server side app (the who
embeds activemq):

System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStore",simRoot+"/conf/certs/broker.ks");
System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword","q5qpTEBb");
System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore",simRoot+"/conf/certs/client.ts");
System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword","q5qpTEBb");

which was already present on the client side.

But i have the same error............ :

task-scheduler-2, WRITE: TLSv1 Handshake, length = 73
task-scheduler-2, WRITE: SSLv2 client hello message, length = 98
task-scheduler-2, handling exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLException:
Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
task-scheduler-2, SEND TLSv1 ALERT:  fatal, description = unexpected_message

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
Good idea, i'll try that as soon as possible and let you know. I didn't know
activemq was embedding a jetty server, so now i have two of them in my app !
:confused:

Re: How to enable HTTPS when SSL is working ?

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi,

this shouldn't affect https transport as it has it's own embedded Jetty
server. Did you try setting ssl parameters using system properties, as I'm
not sure https transport can use <sslContext> at the moment?

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Posted by munger <ma...@sungard.com>.
Replying to myself:

[...]

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Seems like you're trying to connect to non-ssl (https) port or the server
does not understand the protocol you're using. Can you create a simple test
case that demonstrate what you're experiencing?

Cheers

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net