Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "La Motta, David" <Da...@netapp.com> on 2013/06/23 03:04:51 UTC

Hack day tomorrow

Hey everybody, we're looking forward hanging out with some of you tomorrow in Santa Clara.  I am stuck in an un-ending layover in Dallas on my way to CCC13, so I thought I'd share some of our thoughts for the hackathon tomorrow:

- registerVirtualMachine REST API: this can be used to "flip the switch" on a VM that already resides on disk.  How the images / files make it on disk is not so relevant.  The point is trying to not have to upload templates to CS, then create a VM from them.  There were a couple of ideas on the list a few days ago on this topic...

- a way to quiesce a VM.  Powering off VMs is no bueno, quiescing VMs is.  This will be helpful for taking backups of the VMs.

- enable maintenance mode on secondary storage (CS current RFE, but it needs to be implemented).

- request a way to have callbacks for long-running REST invocations.  When you put primary storage in maintenance mode, all the VMs are stopped (remember, there is no quiesce mechanism today), which takes a long time.  CS documentation recommends polling, which is a better-than-nothing approach.  Having callbacks would rule.

- have the ability to plug into different parts of the UI, dynamically, based on entries in plugin.js.  This will allow plugin implementers to drop their breadcrumbs in the CS UI dynamically, and extend functionality that way.  A few thoughts come to mind:  provision storage, take backups, etc.

- ability to quiesce the CS management server itself without shutting it down completely.  As some of you may imagine, you loose the MySQL DB with all the metadata, and you'll be in a world of hurt.  instead of shutting down the CS mgmt server completely, there should be a way to put it in maintenance mode so it can be backed up.

-ui plugin internationalization.  Chris Suich from the NetApp team already brought this up, so just capturing here for consistency sake.

-ui plugin wizard support.  Wizards that can be reused by plugin implementers would be very useful.  Again, this has been discussed in the dev list already, but we are throwing it out there for completeness' sake.

See you soon!

David La Motta
Technical Marketing Engineer
Citrix Solutions