Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org> on 2011/06/20 17:14:43 UTC

Java 5 or 6 for G3.0, and 7

I know we recommend Java 6 for trunk (G3.0).
But are we now requiring it?
Or is Java 5 still supported?

If trunk still supports Java 5, is there a foreseable time when support for Java
5 will end?

G3 Wiki: Installing prerequisite softwares
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/installing-prerequisite-softwares.html
This doc states G3.0 is build on Java 6. It would make me assume Java 5 is not
supported.

I am wondering in the case that Java 7 is supposed to be released this year. Is
there a track to release G3.0 on Java 7, or will Java 7 be the target of a
future revision (e.g. G3.1)?

-RG

Re: Java 5 or 6 for G3.0, and 7

Posted by Russell E Glaue <rg...@cait.org>.
On 06/20/2011 02:36 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Russell E Glaue wrote:
>
>> That is what I assumed.
>> But the build documentation suggests otherwise:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDEV/Building+Apache+Geronimo
>> "You will need a JDK 5.0+ (J2SE 1.5.0+) ... Java 6 works with trunk and 2.2.
>> Earlier versions may have problems. Trunk is likely to require Java 6 soon."
>>
>> I am going to update the page to make sure there is no confusion about the build
>> requirements.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yes, we're definitely past the point where trunk has started to require Java 6...
>
> With regard to Java 7 -- as Java 7 becomes available, I expect people will start to run/test/build with Java 7. As has happened in the past (with Java 5 and Java 6), we'll tolerate this, but not require Java 7... Not until we're looking at Java EE 7 support, anyway...
>
> --kevan

Good. I have the answer I was looking for.
Geronimo 3.0 is locked in to Java 1.6.
And G3.0 will be released with only support for Java 1.6.

-RG

Re: Java 5 or 6 for G3.0, and 7

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 5 or 6 for G3.0, and 7