Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/16 23:38:44 UTC

[OT]FIELDSET and Screen Size

I put a FIELDSET (i.e., the <fieldset> ) around a
'table'.

I (as a developer) am viewing a 1280*1024 screen.
Everything looks fine.  The FIELDSET (a thin line box)
is drawn along the right and left edges of the screen.

Because most of the users have a screen size of
1024*768.

When I adjust the screen properties settings to
1024*768, the 'table' together with other textfields,
textareas displayed in the same web page automatically
adjust to fit the smaller screen size.  But, the size
of the FIELDSET is not automatically adjusted to fit
the smaller screen size.  Instead a horizontal
scrollbar is automatically created because the
FIELDSET is still 1280 in width.

We really do not want the horizontal scrollabar.

Is there anyway to make the FIELDSET adjust to fit the
smaller screen size accordingly?

Thanks for your guidance.

Re: Developing and running Struts on Tomcat without an Internet Connection

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 1:34 PM +1000 3/17/06, Hey Nony Moose wrote:
>Richard Yee wrote:
>
>>  I know this is supposed to work, but I'm getting an error starting up
>>  my Struts 1.2.8 application on Tomcat 5.5.15 when I unplug my computer
>>  from the Internet.
>>  The stack trace is:
>>
>>  java.net.UnknownHostException: jakarta.apache.org
>
>when i get these in this scenario i look for url references in xml, xsl,
>and dtd files in the assorted files and fetch the targetted file off the
>internet, put it locally and alter the url reference to point to the
>local file.   this usually works, but there's probably a more elegant
>way out of it ...  which i'm sure someone will post ... ?

The problem in this case is that you have the wrong DOCTYPE
declaration,  If your XML files carry the correct PUBLIC identifier,
then Struts will find the DTD for validation in the JAR.

For Struts 1.2.x, that would be:

      <!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
        "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.2//EN"
        "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-config_1_2.dtd">

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog

Re: Developing and running Struts on Tomcat without an Internet Connection

Posted by Paul Benedict <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Try replacing your jar file. This is a long shot, but when I had
these before I think the jar got corrupted. It's probably looking
for the DTD on the internet because it can find them on your computer.
You can always put the DTD's in the WEB-INF root, but you shouldn't
since Tomcat 5 should find them.

Posted by Hey Nony Moose <he...@liveonthe.net>.

Posted by Richard Yee <ry...@cruzio.com>.
I know this is supposed to work, but I'm getting an error starting up my
Struts 1.2.8 application on Tomcat 5.5.15 when I unplug my computer from
the Internet.
The stack trace is:

java.net.UnknownHostException: jakarta.apache.org
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:177)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:157)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:365)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:477)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:214)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:287)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:299)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLC
onnection.java:792)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConne
ction.java:744)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection
.java:669)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLCon
nection.java:913)
        at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrent
Entity(XMLEntityManager.java:973)

I'm using Java 1.5.0
I'm using the standard DOCTYPES from the struts_blank webapp

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

[Problem Solved]Re: [OT]FIELDSET and Screen Size

Posted by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>.
I am very sorry, Dave, for taking up your time.

I have found the problem.  The problem is not the
FIELDSET.  The problem is caused by something else in
that web page.

My apology.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.