Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com> on 2019/01/07 19:24:59 UTC

Accessing the manager application in a new Tomcat 8.5 install

I've spent about 2 weeks on and off (I have other projects) and still cant log in to the Tomcat 8.5 manager app.
I get the signon box, enter my credentials from the tomcat-users.xml file and the signon box is promptly returned.

I read the docs regarding the required roles, and the valve that restricts access other than from localhost, restarted each time with no success.   I haven't figured out how to set debug on to hopefully give me more info on why it's failing.

Does anyone have specific steps that would need to be followed in order to allow a user to access the manager app after a new install?

We don't use this that much so it's very frustrating to say the least.   Once I get the manager access handled, then I'll be able to deploy the application that tomcat8 was required for (I know that you can use commands vs the gui to do that, but we're used to using the gui so that's why we need it to work.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I've already wasted way too much time trying to address such a simple request.

Thanks...

Joel

JOEL SAUNDERS

SR. DBA/ARCHITECT, MANAGED SERVICES | Zones, Inc.
W: 518-652-4089| C: 518-265-0771
joel.saunders@zones.com<ma...@zones.com> | zones.com<https://nfrastructure.com/>
[cid:image001.jpg@01D4A694.C404DA50]<http://zones.com/>

[cid:image002.jpg@01D4A694.C404DA50]<https://www.facebook.com/nfrastructure/>[cid:image003.jpg@01D4A694.C404DA50]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/nfrastructure/> [cid:image004.jpg@01D4A694.C404DA50] <https://twitter.com/nfrastructure>  [cid:image005.jpg@01D4A694.C404DA50] <https://www.youtube.com/user/nfrastructure1992>

RE: Accessing the manager application in a new Tomcat 8.5 install

Posted by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com>.
Thanks... let me try that... At least that will knock that out of the realm of things that could be causing it.

I'll post after I test.

Posted by John Larsen <jo...@javapipe.com>.

Posted by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com>.
All,    Problem resolved!

Ok.   The change to the context.xml file controls if/what external ips can access the webapp. That was one thing that had to be changed from an initial install, but that wasn’t my final issue.

The final issue was that I couldn't authenticate properly  against my tomcat-users.xml file.

I ended up starting back with modifying the original tomcat-users.xml file.
	After the comment end for the sample roles and users...
		I added a line for the role for manager-gui and
		Added another line for the user for "admin" with the password and manager-gui role,
		restarted, and voila it works now.

Must've been something that I did wrong during the multiple attempts to edit the tomcat-users.xml file.

Thanks to all who responded.

On to the next fire!

Thanks...

Joel

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com>.
What exactly does that mean?   I’m sorry but I really don’t know

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.