Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org> on 2017/08/28 13:32:39 UTC

Tika 2.0?

All,

  We're getting some increasing deltas btwn the 2.0 and trunk branches.  Many of these are my fault; I gave up making updates to 2.0 around April/May, I think.

  What would people think of punting on some of the desired goals of 2.0 (e.g. chaining parsers, more structured but still simple metadata) and releasing 2.0 soonish...say 2.0-BETA end of September?

  We've been able to make some major improvements to Tika without breaking backwards compatibility.  We _might_ be able to do that with the outstanding issues for 2.0 when someone has time.

  We could also do the upgrade to jdk 8 with Tika 2.0.

  If this sounds reasonable, I propose creating a 1.x branch from trunk for 1.x maintenance and then reworking trunk to the 2.x structure that Bob Paulin so elegantly worked out.  I figure we can either copy/paste from trunk to the current 2.x (and _hope_ we get all the updates) or use Bob's 2.0 as a model for restructuring trunk.  At this point, I'd prefer the second option.  The key here is to switch "trunk" to 2.0 so that we all have the mindset that 2.0 is what we're focused on.

   The main benefit of this proposal is that we'd have a more modular Tika soon.

   What do you think?

         Best,

               Tim

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3010)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I am cool to finally get on the 2.0 kool aid and execute the plan as described by Tim
below for our next release.

+1.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Principal Data Scientist, Engineering Administrative Office (3010)
Manager, NSF & Open Source Projects Formulation and Development Offices (8212)
Office: 180-503E, Mailstop: 180-503
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

On 8/28/17, 8:12 AM, "Konstantin Gribov" <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Tim,

    +1 to making restructuring master to 2.x shape. If we can at least migrate
    modularization patches, dependency changes and move to java 8 it certainly
    will be a good step forward and big reduction of technical debt.

    On пн, 28 авг. 2017, 16:52 Bob Paulin <bo...@bobpaulin.com> wrote:

    > Tim,
    >
    > +1 You've done an admirable job of dual maintenance but it sounds like
    > it became a heavy tax on development.  Releasing would allow us to get
    > back to "trunk" based development again.  Then we could focus on porting
    > any missed patches and start looking for any regressions.  I also like
    > the idea of picking up Java 8 as many other projects are starting to do
    > this.
    >
    > - Bob
    >

    > On 8/28/2017 8:32 AM, Allison, Timothy B. wrote:
    > > All,
    > >
    > >   We're getting some increasing deltas btwn the 2.0 and trunk branches.
    > Many of these are my fault; I gave up making updates to 2.0 around
    > April/May, I think.
    > >
    > >   What would people think of punting on some of the desired goals of 2.0
    > (e.g. chaining parsers, more structured but still simple metadata) and
    > releasing 2.0 soonish...say 2.0-BETA end of September?
    > >
    > >   We've been able to make some major improvements to Tika without
    > breaking backwards compatibility.  We _might_ be able to do that with the
    > outstanding issues for 2.0 when someone has time.
    > >
    > >   We could also do the upgrade to jdk 8 with Tika 2.0.
    > >
    > >   If this sounds reasonable, I propose creating a 1.x branch from trunk
    > for 1.x maintenance and then reworking trunk to the 2.x structure that Bob
    > Paulin so elegantly worked out.  I figure we can either copy/paste from
    > trunk to the current 2.x (and _hope_ we get all the updates) or use Bob's
    > 2.0 as a model for restructuring trunk.  At this point, I'd prefer the
    > second option.  The key here is to switch "trunk" to 2.0 so that we all
    > have the mindset that 2.0 is what we're focused on.
    > >
    > >    The main benefit of this proposal is that we'd have a more modular
    > Tika soon.
    > >
    > >    What do you think?
    > >
    > >          Best,
    > >
    > >                Tim
    > >

    > --

    Best regards,
    Konstantin Gribov

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3010)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
BTW, one *very* important thing to do *before* we make the steps below would be
to look very closely at the wiki and all the documentation that has been written with
1.x in mind and either update it or make sure it still applies to our new master after the
2.x merge, and 1.x maintenance branch creation.

    Best regards,
    Konstantin Gribov

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Tim,

+1 to making restructuring master to 2.x shape. If we can at least migrate
modularization patches, dependency changes and move to java 8 it certainly
will be a good step forward and big reduction of technical debt.

On пн, 28 авг. 2017, 16:52 Bob Paulin <bo...@bobpaulin.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> +1 You've done an admirable job of dual maintenance but it sounds like
> it became a heavy tax on development.  Releasing would allow us to get
> back to "trunk" based development again.  Then we could focus on porting
> any missed patches and start looking for any regressions.  I also like
> the idea of picking up Java 8 as many other projects are starting to do
> this.
>
> - Bob
>

> On 8/28/2017 8:32 AM, Allison, Timothy B. wrote:
> > All,
> >
> >   We're getting some increasing deltas btwn the 2.0 and trunk branches.
> Many of these are my fault; I gave up making updates to 2.0 around
> April/May, I think.
> >
> >   What would people think of punting on some of the desired goals of 2.0
> (e.g. chaining parsers, more structured but still simple metadata) and
> releasing 2.0 soonish...say 2.0-BETA end of September?
> >
> >   We've been able to make some major improvements to Tika without
> breaking backwards compatibility.  We _might_ be able to do that with the
> outstanding issues for 2.0 when someone has time.
> >
> >   We could also do the upgrade to jdk 8 with Tika 2.0.
> >
> >   If this sounds reasonable, I propose creating a 1.x branch from trunk
> for 1.x maintenance and then reworking trunk to the 2.x structure that Bob
> Paulin so elegantly worked out.  I figure we can either copy/paste from
> trunk to the current 2.x (and _hope_ we get all the updates) or use Bob's
> 2.0 as a model for restructuring trunk.  At this point, I'd prefer the
> second option.  The key here is to switch "trunk" to 2.0 so that we all
> have the mindset that 2.0 is what we're focused on.
> >
> >    The main benefit of this proposal is that we'd have a more modular
> Tika soon.
> >
> >    What do you think?
> >
> >          Best,
> >
> >                Tim
> >

> --

Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by Bob Paulin <bo...@bobpaulin.com>.
Tim,

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
B it is, proceed (

On 9/12/17, 5:10 AM, "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org> wrote:

    I'd strongly advocate for 2.  I _think_ the hard work was laying out the general structure and adding the ProxyParser workaround.  Copying and pasting/reworking into that structure will be:

    A) far less dangerous than 1
    And
    B) we'll have a cleaner history.

    On A), I know that we didn't add some major components including: configurability of parsers, completely cleaned up logging, numerous bug fixes and even entire modules (tika-dl).

    On B), there were a few times where I "caught a parser up" in 2.0 not by individual commits based on the original history but based on a copy/paste from the contemporaneous master.  This obliterated the history of some commits on the 2.0 branch and would force us to look back at master.

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by Bob Paulin <bo...@bobpaulin.com>.

Re: Tika 2.0?

RE: Tika 2.0?

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.

Re: Tika 2.0?

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim

Having a new major 2.0 master is a good idea IMHO. It will take time to
make it final but it's better to finally make it 'mainstream' and start
having new ideas realized or finalized...

Sergey