Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/02 21:31:28 UTC

documentation

I was looking through the Tomcat 4 docs today to see
if there was documentation on setting up
ServletContextListener in web.xml.  If there isn't an
existing version, I would like to write one up and
submit it to the group for consideration.

What do people think of the idea?  I went through most
of the config related pages and didn't see any
documentation on it.

peter lin

Re: documentation

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.
I was thinking of specifically the Root path issue you
explained to me.  My idea was just a short 2-4
paragraphs about using full path in server.xml and
other ways to work around it.  So it would be tomcat
specific, though I haven't tested it with other
webservers, so it might exist in other servers also.

peter

Re: documentation

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.
Unless people find tomcat specific documentation on
setting up a ServletContextListener for 4.0.3
objectionable, I will go ahead and write up one page
of tips/help/intro on it.

peter lin

Re: documentation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Peter Lin wrote:

> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: documentation
>

> I was looking through the Tomcat 4 docs today to see
> if there was documentation on setting up
> ServletContextListener in web.xml.  If there isn't an
> existing version, I would like to write one up and
> submit it to the group for consideration.
>
> What do people think of the idea?  I went through most
> of the config related pages and didn't see any
> documentation on it.

Doesn't the servlet spec count as documentation for this?

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

Tomcat's docs focus on what is unique to Tomcat (such as the stuff in
server.xml).  The web application deployment descriptor (web.xml) is
portable across all containers, so we (or any other container) don't need
to document it explicitly.

> peter lin

Craig