Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Aronszajn, Mark" <ma...@fhcrc.org> on 2006/11/16 19:26:13 UTC

RE: a discrepancy in webapp behavior in two environments

I've encountered the problem again that I described in some posts from
last month.

I had figured that the problem was resolved when I explicitly included
the jsessionid as a param with the URL. The situation was this: I have a
page that refreshes every few seconds with updates to a list of results
being processed on the server. Each refresh page also includes a cancel
and a switch-to-batch-mode button. These are the buttons that are
accompanied by URLs to which I've now attached jsessionid params. The
refreshes work fine, the session gets retained across each refresh.
However, if I submit either a cancel or switch-to-batch request by
clicking on one of the buttons, the session is lost. This has now
started happening even though I explicitly include the sessionId in the
request's URL... !

Now here's some further info: I tried running the app on the same
platform (client: Windows XP, server: Tomcat 5.5.17 on a Sun Solaris
machine) but using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, and the problem
didn't occur. The cancelling and switch-to-batching worked fine.

And here's another piece of info: I went back to Firefox and cleared all
cache and cookies and tried again, and this time it worked fine, and has
been working okay since then (all of 10 minutes...).

So the thing is working now, but I'm left w/out an understanding of why
the problem would occur in the first place. I want people to be able to
use this web app with Firefox, and I don't want to see this problem
occurring off & on if I can help it. It sort of looks like it might be a
Firefox issue, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone suggest a cause & solution given the information here?

Thanks,

Mark