Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ruben Reusser <rr...@headwire.com> on 2020/10/21 12:59:29 UTC

sling level package format

Dear Sling Devs,

currently we rely heavily on jcr filevalut packages to ingest content
into our sling instances. While the filevault format is great to operate
on the JCR level it unfortunately does not seem to be the best way to
ingest some content. I have been wondering for a while if it would be a
good idea to create a sling supported import format that operates at a
higher level instead.

Such an import format could for example solve issues like

- ingest a page with all its versions
- add/update a page and correctly manage the replication state of the page
- turn off asset processing when ingesting processed assets

It may be a good idea for sling to provide a basic infrastructure for
such an import format where the actions one can take through the format
is left to an implementation.
Such a format could also be streamable.

Unfortunately however such a format would not be able to support the
bidirectional nature of the jcr filevault packages we currently enjoy.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and if it would make sense to
start working on such a format.

Ruben

Re: sling level package format

Posted by Ruben Reusser <rr...@headwire.com>.
Carsten,

great to hear I am not the only one that is interested in such a format

Would be nice to collect a couple of use cases for such a format to make
sure we end up with something useful for everybody

my current need would be the ability to:

- create users if they do not exist
- create groups if they do not exist
- set up a tenant if the tenant does not exist yet
- turn off incremental processing of pages/assets
- import pages and assets honoring their stored replication state and
applying the correct permissions
- run post processing on all loaded content

Ruben

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

sounds like an interesting idea. I think it makes sense to explore this

Regards
Carsten

Am 21.10.2020 um 14:59 schrieb Ruben Reusser:
> Dear Sling Devs,
>
> currently we rely heavily on jcr filevalut packages to ingest content
> into our sling instances. While the filevault format is great to operate
> on the JCR level it unfortunately does not seem to be the best way to
> ingest some content. I have been wondering for a while if it would be a
> good idea to create a sling supported import format that operates at a
> higher level instead.
>
> Such an import format could for example solve issues like
>
> - ingest a page with all its versions
> - add/update a page and correctly manage the replication state of the page
> - turn off asset processing when ingesting processed assets
>
> It may be a good idea for sling to provide a basic infrastructure for
> such an import format where the actions one can take through the format
> is left to an implementation.
> Such a format could also be streamable.
>
> Unfortunately however such a format would not be able to support the
> bidirectional nature of the jcr filevault packages we currently enjoy.
>
> Would love to hear your thoughts on this and if it would make sense to
> start working on such a format.
>
> Ruben

Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland